Veggie bacon anyone ? Success or not?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
But, seriously have you all given it a real try? I get the impression most people are just giving it an automatic EUCK.

As I said above, anything that is an ultra processed ‘food’ that attempts to replicate the texture/taste/smell of meat is an automatic EUCK for me :smile:
The 3 reasons I completely stopped eating meat 4 years ago. I understand why vegetarians/vegans who like those things about meat would try if they’re non meat eaters for ethical or health reasons so there’s a market but it ain’t me!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
As I said above, anything that is an ultra processed ‘food’ that attempts to replicate the texture/taste/smell of meat is an automatic EUCK for me :smile:
The 3 reasons I completely stopped eating meat 4 years ago. I understand why vegetarians/vegans who like those things about meat would try if they’re non meat eaters for ethical or health reasons so there’s a market but it ain’t me!

Again....you don't seem to have actually given it a real, genuine try

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Errr… because I know it’ll make me gag if it is anything like bacon!

Exactly. You are condemning it because it just might be like bacon.
My OP was a simple question for people who can give an informed opinion/comment.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I have occasionally tried these- trouble is I can't remember which ones were the better ones. I got some from Tesco Metro once but all I know is it wasn't Richmonds. Actually went crispy, not dreadful (looking online might have been 'This Isn't Bacon Streaky Rashers' however I can't be certain they weren't the Tesco 'Plant Chef' ones- OK, so maybe you need to try two kinds and see what you think!)

Tenkaykev

Guru
I've tried it several times over the years, just out of curiosity. As others have said, I think it's more of a marketing ploy and more likely to put people off eating more of a vegetarian diet. On a personal note I don't want my veggie stuff to imitate meat, and understand that some people do. I've been vegetarian for about 60 years now and the choice is certainly broader, especially when eating out. Getting back to the original question, I've never tasted a brand of " not bacon " that I'd recommend, as mentioned in another comment, grilled halloumi can be an excellent alternative, I'd recommend paying a bit more and get the original halloumi, the majority on the supermarket shelves contain cows milk, the original is sheep and goat milk.

presta

Guru
Blurgh. Real stuff or something else completely. Not into fake meat.
Seems the best policy, we're advised that highly processed food is unhealthy, red and/or processed meat is unhealthy, and meat (particularly beef & pork) is bad for the environment.
have you all given it a real try?
There's something to be said for habituation, I thought skimmed milk was revolting when I first switched, but after having got used to it, it's the whole milk that now tastes horrible:- too rich & sickly.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
1696864125840.jpeg

Top Bottom