Circe Helios tandem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I cannot bring myself to endorse them wholeheartedly on account of their front chain tensioner. Proper tandems have concentric BBs not jockey wheels. Capatin stops, stoker carries on, top run of chain drops off. It's a real shame coz otherwise they is excellent.

Is the chain dropping off a real problem?

That depends entirely on the strength of the idler wheel and its attachement hardware. Many recumbents use such an idler to transfer the drive side of the chain so it is possible, if its built well, that the Circe idler will never throw a chain.

It's just not optimal, they've fitted that idler for no other reason than because it's cheaper that a proper tandem eccentric BB set-up. In my opinion they've compromised the performance and long term durability just to save a few quid and that leaves a bad taste.

DrMekon

Über Member
That depends entirely on the strength of the idler wheel and its attachement hardware. Many recumbents use such an idler to transfer the drive side of the chain so it is possible, if its built well, that the Circe idler will never throw a chain.

It's just not optimal, they've fitted that idler for no other reason than because it's cheaper that a proper tandem eccentric BB set-up. In my opinion they've compromised the performance and long term durability just to save a few quid and that leaves a bad taste.

I've just borrowed one from Circe, and have just been out for a blat with a colleague. We're both pretty strong riders, and couldn't get the chain to come off when we tried (for purposes of experimentation).

BTW, my eldest has a 51cm inside leg, and it fits him fine with crank shorteners (supplied).

5889878645_2b68d20636_z.jpg

When we order one, I'll get a rack; attractive as Carradice undoubtedly are, it's not fair to make my 5yr old look at it for hour on end.

Sixmile

Veteran
I never thought I'd ever even entertain the idea but here I am, this is what cycling does to you. I'm considering a Helios tandem and have found one a few hours drive away from me. With the kids catching the cycling bug but also outgrowing the trailer & seats, I have been thinking about how we could do another tour, possibly for a few weeks, solely supported by our legs. The Helios seems to make a lot of sense so please, someone talk some sense into me and put me off this clearly ridiculous idea.

Sixmile

Veteran
[QUOTE 5323595, member: 45"]Do it.

Do it.

Do it.[/QUOTE]

This is exactly what I don't need :tongue: I take it you never pushed the button on one?

benb

Evidence based cyclist
What I like about the Helios is how flexible it is.
You can take the rear saddle off, fit that enormous rack and do a massive shop with it.
Or if you've got 2 small kids, you can do the above and put 2 seats on the back.

With one older kid and one younger, saddle back on, smaller rear rack and seat on that.

I wish I had room in my garage for one.

Sixmile

Veteran
What I like about the Helios is how flexible it is.
You can take the rear saddle off, fit that enormous rack and do a massive shop with it.
Or if you've got 2 small kids, you can do the above and put 2 seats on the back.

With one older kid and one younger, saddle back on, smaller rear rack and seat on that.

I wish I had room in my garage for one.

Are the child seats specific to the Circe rack or is there a range of generic rack mountable seats? I'm familiar with the Hamax seatpost style ones but not rack mounted seats.

I'm getting rid of the freezer from the shed so I guess the space needs filled with something...

Sixmile

Veteran
[QUOTE 5324226, member: 10119"]I remortgaged to get the Helios, which is the best thing we've ever bought![/QUOTE]

Can I ask why? Do you have kids or is it a cargo hauler or what do you use it for if you don't mind me asking.

I've always said our Croozer for two trailer was the best cycle related purchase I've made as it has enabled us as a young family to do so much more than an average bike ride. I plan to sell it on next Spring. Our biggest girl is now outgrowing it, is now out riding 10 miles no bother and I've always an ikling in the back of my mind to plan more biking adventures. I just so happened to do a search for a Helios yesterday and have found one relatively close, as opposed to shipping one from England or further afield hence my recent interest.

It's my commuter, and the 'school bus'. It's also done many a social ride, a cycle camping trip, and a number of audaxes. I'm a complete shortarse at 5'1" and can happily pilot it, but it has also been piloted by various other people up to 6" tall, and has had stokers aged between 4 and 40+. I have been known to send people I've never met before round the block on it in my quest to recruit to the tandem cause. I did know their kid at least, who stoked for them :biggrin:

Top Bottom