Circular cycle routes UK-Europe-UK

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi all,

My partner and I love cycling and I am hoping to organise a (rather large - eek!) fundraising event to support a charity that I support. I have never done anything like this and would welcome all tips, info and advice. I understand it’s going to take a lot of work and that doesn’t worry me at all but I’m sure there’ll be legalities to consider. I’d like to organise a cycle tour where participants have to raise a certain amount to join. We’d organise transport, accommodation, support vehicles, medics etc. Where I really need help and advice is on choosing a suitable route. Maximum of 100 miles a day (or thereabouts), preferably a circular route from Calais and somewhere enjoyable, challenging but safe! Ideally to be achieved / completed in 5-8 days. Any ideas?!

Have you contacted the charity as their fundraising team may be able to help you, or offer some thoughts on who around migh assist?

My Advise is forget it, too much red tape and logistics, unless you can get enough people to take part you might well find yourself out of pocket. stoatsngroats advise is the way to go.

tom73

Guru
@stoatsngroats has the right idea ask the charity for help. Most are happy to help with a fundraising idea. If it's a small charity they may have less to offer then a large staff heavy national one. But they may have some good local contacts so can always see. Ask your local cycle club they may have some ideas. As for medics you get what you pay for now a bit about that side of things so can give you a few pointers as can mrs 73.

OP
OP
I

ihavenoidea

Regular
Have you contacted the charity as their fundraising team may be able to help you, or offer some thoughts on who around migh assist?

Hi Stoatsngroats, yes, checking with them was my first port of call before I even went into doing research. They’ve got means of advertising too so not worried on that front - just looking really for advice from those who have cycled from Calais really!

OP
OP
I

ihavenoidea

Regular
My Advise is forget it, too much red tape and logistics, unless you can get enough people to take part you might well find yourself out of pocket. stoatsngroats advise is the way to go.

We’d obviously make sure that the fee to participate in the ride would more than cover costs so that we also raise money for the charity; I’m hoping by organising well in advance we could find cheaper rates to advertise to prospective participants before actually handing over deposits and such. Have you organised something like this before? I don’t want to ‘just forget it’ but would be interested to hear your take on the red tape and logistics you speak of?

OP
OP
I

ihavenoidea

Regular
@stoatsngroats has the right idea ask the charity for help. Most are happy to help with a fundraising idea. If it's a small charity they may have less to offer then a large staff heavy national one. But they may have some good local contacts so can always see. Ask your local cycle club they may have some ideas. As for medics you get what you pay for now a bit about that side of things so can give you a few pointers as can mrs 73.

Thanks Tom, will be in touch re medic advice if we get that far :smile:

We’d obviously make sure that the fee to participate in the ride would more than cover costs so that we also raise money for the charity; I’m hoping by organising well in advance we could find cheaper rates to advertise to prospective participants before actually handing over deposits and such. Have you organised something like this before? I don’t want to ‘just forget it’ but would be interested to hear your take on the red tape and logistics you speak of?
Some years ago I was thinking on the same lines as yourselves, I had a lot of responses and interest, but when I looked into it further, I found I would need to have a more than myself to adminstrate the adventure, and to share thework load as there was routes and riders to oversee, accomadation to arrange, medicial backup. and plenty of what if's. but I found that there was a lack of interest in helping so i dropped it before I got too involved in it.

Top Bottom