Cities Fit for Cycling - The Times

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
masthead.png
cycle_button.png

line-break-2.jpg

Dear Reader
Thank you for supporting The Times Cities Fit for Cycling campaign - we are making headway, but we need your help.
A parliamentary debate on the measures called for by The Times’s campaign has been scheduled for February 23. For this debate to have real impact we need as many MPs as possible to attend.
Only you can make that happen: we have just two weeks to write to our MPs telling them why they should attend. Please take a moment to write via our campaign page thetimes.co.uk/cyclesafe
We also need to spread the word and ask as many people as possible to write to their MP. Please help by posting the link to our public page thetimes.co.uk/cyclesafe and forwarding this e-mail to friends, family and fellow cyclists.
You are one of 23,000 people who have signed The Times Cities Fit for Cycling manifesto - this campaign has generated radio and TV coverage the length and breadth of the country as well as official backing from all quarters. But we need to keep the pressure on ministers to bring about real change.
We will update you on progress in the next couple of weeks. With your help, we can make Britain's cities fit for cycling.
signature.png

James Harding
Editor of The Times

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Yes I got one of those too!

1717276 said:
Bollocks, I've been riding on the road since I was 7. I don't need to jump to your two week agenda.

I don't agree with all the campaign is saying and I have been pessimistic about the whole thing. However they somehow managed to get a debate in the commons after only a few days of the campaign. How many years would it take all the cycle campaign groups in the country to achieve the same thing?

You never know it might be a turning point after all.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I agree - I think The Times campaign may reaching places that normal cycle campaigners don't reach! And like you think that some of the information they are giving out isn't good - why don't they get in someone to give proper advice!!!

MrHappyCyclist

Riding the Devil's HIghway
My own attempt at improving the Times's 8 point manifesto:
  1. The law should be changed so that, in civil cases relating to incidents involving motor vehicles and other, more vulnerable road users, the driver(s) of the motor vehicle(s) are held liable for all damages unless they can prove that the incident was caused wholly by the vulnerable road user’s negligence.
  2. All road junctions must be assessed for danger to vulnerable road users, and redesigned giving priority to safety over traffic flow where that is not already the case, including the introduction of priority traffic lights for cyclists, and Trixi mirrors that allow lorry drivers to see cyclists on their near-side.
  3. Two per cent of the Highways Agency budget (£100 million a year) should be earmarked for highways improvements of direct benefit to cyclists, based on existing research literature, to provide a world-class cycling-friendly infrastructure, and businesses should be invited to sponsor such improvements. Each year cities should be graded on the quality of cycling provision.
  4. Cycle safety should become a core part of the driving test, and a high profile publicity campaign should be implemented to ensure that all road users: are aware of the needs of cyclists, understand fully the cycling practices recommended under the Bikeability training programme, and are in no doubt as to their responsibilities towards other road users.
  5. 20mph should become the default speed limit in residential areas as well as all roads that do not need to be used as major thoroughfares.
  6. All routes into and out of cities and towns should be modified to improve safety for cyclists and other vulnerable road users by taking space away from road-side parking and motor traffic.
  7. It should be illegal for a highway authority to install or maintain any cycling infrastructure, including cycle lanes, that does not conform to the guidelines set out in the DfT’s Local Transport Note 2/08: “Cycle Infrastructure Design”. All highway authorities should be required to set out a timetable for the conformance of all infrastructure that does not meet this requirement, or its removal and replacement with alternative measures.
  8. Every city and town, even those without an elected mayor, should appoint a cycling commissioner to push home reforms.
(Posted on my blog as well.)

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
It cannot ever be illegal not to follow guidelines... You'd need to get the guidelines enshrined in law as regulations.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
well, I'm sorry, but that removes one of the key elements of accountability. Highways authorities should be answerable to the people in their area, not to a national code. And, for what it's worth, many of the most ridiculous cycle facilities tick every box.

PK99

Legendary Member
It cannot ever be illegal not to follow guidelines... You'd need to get the guidelines enshrined in law as regulations.

... and those regulations could never be as comprehensive as the guidelines as guidelines (almost by definition) give scope for variance according to circumstances.

Plus, changing guidelines as (say) technology changes is far easier than changing legislation.

And, "I fully complied with the regulations" is a defence, whereas guidelines leave the responsibility for fitness for purpose clearly with the designer.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
... and those regulations could never be as comprehensive as the guidelines as guidelines (almost by definition) give scope for variance according to circumstances.

Plus, changing guidelines as (say) technology changes is far easier than changing legislation.

And, "I fully complied with the regulations" is a defence, whereas guidelines leave the responsibility for fitness for purpose clearly with the designer.
not the case on the continent.

mumbo jumbo

I added 4 further points to The Times manifesto when I wrote to my MP:

1. All trade bike sales to be accompanied by a guide to safe road cycling techniques and details of where to get cycle training.
2. Change the duty of care for all road users from "due care and attention" to "utmost care and attention".
3. Introduce presumed liability in civil cases against motorists who hit cyclists and other vulnerable road users.
4. Change sentencing guidelines so that motorists who kill vulnerable road users receive a mandatory custodial sentence.

I await his researcher's reply...!

mumbo jumbo

I added 4 further points to The Times manifesto when I wrote to my MP:

1. All trade bike sales to be accompanied by a guide to safe road cycling techniques and details of where to get cycle training.
2. Change the duty of care for all road users from "due care and attention" to "utmost care and attention".
3. Introduce presumed liability in civil cases against motorists who hit cyclists and other vulnerable road users.
4. Change sentencing guidelines so that motorists who kill vulnerable road users receive a mandatory custodial sentence.

I await his researcher's reply...!
Outstanding. I've had a reply already as follows:
"Thank you for your email and taking the time to write to Roger on this matter. I will pass on your email to him but he does share your concerns and has signed up to support The Times campaign and is very happy to do so."
There is no comment on any specific points or issues but this is a good start.

mj

MrHappyCyclist

Riding the Devil's HIghway
well, I'm sorry, but that removes one of the key elements of accountability. Highways authorities should be answerable to the people in their area, not to a national code.
Well, local accountability isn't working very well right now is it?

And, for what it's worth, many of the most ridiculous cycle facilities tick every box.
Most of the ones near me don't, but I'd be interested to see some examples of ones that do. My hope is that, since it would probably be impossible to meet the guidelines on most of the ones I know without taking whole lanes away from motor traffic, they would simply have to remove them (or reduce motor traffic capacity).

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Well, local accountability isn't working very well right now is it?
that's democracy. Go out and do some canvassing

Most of the ones near me don't, but I'd be interested to see some examples of ones that do. My hope is that, since it would probably be impossible to meet the guidelines on most of the ones I know without taking whole lanes away from motor traffic, they would simply have to remove them (or reduce motor traffic capacity).
I take it you don't use the bus........

Top Bottom