Cities Fit for Cycling - The Times

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Many car doors open over 3' wide. If I'm cycling near parked cars, I'm further out than that.

I do tend to keep an eye on wing mirrors and through the back windows. I also keep an eye out for wheels turned outwards (classic indication they may be preparing to pull out).

As for number 6: have you actually read what they're telling motorists?

6_bikes.png
Exactly what I was told about motorists when training for my motorcycle IAM test. Pretty sound advice.

Attachments

• 6_bikes.png
    6_bikes.png
    52.2 KB · Views: 38

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
the question i often ask to myself is why are these people in such a hurry to play silly buggers like they do ?
"I like cycling because I can ride how I like, through red lights, on the pavement, (the wrong way) down one way streets without it affecting my driving licence"

a quote from a member of our local cycling forum. we nearly wept. He has brought his bomb dodging ways to a small market town in Sussex.

Mad at urage

Our road systems and the way we control traffic is designed around motor vehicles. This frequently results in junctions that are less safe for cyclists and situations where obeying the 'rules of the road' is more risky than breaking them. This is an unpopular view with motorists and with many cyclists, but studies such as http://www.trl.co.uk/online_store/repor ... auses_.htm confirm what many experienced cyclists have observed: Only a tiny proportion of accidents involving cyclists are caused by riders jumping red lights or stop signs. This doesn't mean that every red light should be jumped, but that the safety of the cyclist should come before the strict letter of the rule. Unfortunately many (including many cyclists) are unable to make this distinction.

Here for example is a classic junction where the safest option for a cyclist is to proceed through a red (as long as there are no pedestrians to inconvenience). The camera car is at the stop line; note the distance through the junction.
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=barking ... 59.88,,0,0
The safest place to wait, is just by the railings, next to the statue.

Richard Mann

Here for example is a classic junction where the safest option for a cyclist is to proceed through a red (as long as there are no pedestrians to inconvenience). The camera car is at the stop line; note the distance through the junction.

Not even an ASL.
Of course the thing to do (if you know the lights aren't going to change in the next few seconds) is to get off, wheel your bike across the line and the pedestrian crossing, then get back on.

One possible solution is putting the ASL beyond the pedestrian crossing, with a give-way gate onto the pedestrian crossing. This is effectively what the Dutch do (cyclists give way to pedestrians rather than have a red light).

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
On my route to work i cross 4-5 big junctions.
Has to be said >80% of cyclists pay no regard to traffic lights or any road restrictions.
The junction of Longley Road with Tooting High street never ceases to amaze me.
i seem to be the only fool on a bike who bothers to stop and wait at the lights.
The number of cyclists who seem to jump the lights or cut onto the pavement across the pedestrian crossing in the direction of St Georges is alarming.

the question i often ask to myself is why are these people in such a hurry to play silly buggers like they do ?
I'm sorry, but I simply don't believe that. RLJing along CS7 is low and declining

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Our road systems and the way we control traffic is designed around motor vehicles. This frequently results in junctions that are less safe for cyclists and situations where obeying the 'rules of the road' is more risky than breaking them. This is an unpopular view with motorists and with many cyclists, but studies such as http://www.trl.co.uk/online_store/repor ... auses_.htm confirm what many experienced cyclists have observed: Only a tiny proportion of accidents involving cyclists are caused by riders jumping red lights or stop signs. This doesn't mean that every red light should be jumped, but that the safety of the cyclist should come before the strict letter of the rule. Unfortunately many (including many cyclists) are unable to make this distinction.

Can't agree with any of that, I'm afraid. Just take the lane, and obey the highway code. No need for jumping lights there, and it won't improve your safety. Sitting just by the railings is not a good place to be - you want to be at least three feet out, but preferably in the middle of your lane.

Mad at urage

You can disagree all you want BM, I used to ride it regularly. By the railings keeps you well out of the way of traffic exiting Green St. and is far enough ahead to reclaim the lane when the lights are in favour of proceeding.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
You can disagree all you want BM, I used to ride it regularly. By the railings keeps you well out of the way of traffic exiting Green St. and is far enough ahead to reclaim the lane when the lights are in favour of proceeding.

I'm sorry you don't like my criticism, but what you're suggesting makes your safety worse without any doubt at all. You can ride very safely and entirely within the highway code, and far better than the way in which you suggest dealing with that junction.

GrasB

Veteran
Because cyclists barge to the front of the traffic then have no where to go so are left hanging about in no mans lane ripe for off-the-line left hooking. The ASL allows for a cyclist who progressed to the front of the queue if traffic without 2 shreds of common sense to have a space to take up primary where they can be well see. It's a broken fix for people like you who behave in an idiotic manner around junctions.

The reality is if you hang back a few vehicles let them deal with lead boot brigade (hey if there are metal boxes about I might as well let them deal with the crashing bit, they come off much better than I would.

Mad at urage

I agree it's a broken fix, as are the cycle lanes on the left leading up to it. I don't agree that filtering to the front of a queue is idiotic; it is simply using the advantages of a bike to facilitate my journey.

Top Bottom