Cities Fit for Cycling - The Times

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AnotherEye

I'd like some of that money spent on increasing the number of traffic police on our roads enforcing the law.
This is my thinking as well. We see careless driving everyday & some habits (like not indicating) become almost the norm. Prosecutions only happen if there has been a collision (& then only sometimes). There would be very few road deaths if all road users were to abide by the Highway Code. £100M could put 2,000 traffic police on watch for a year. Roadusers would then know that their carelessness would sooner or later be logged & persistent carelessness would lead to prosecution.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
FYI... Robert Elms 10am 04/02/12 94.9FM (BBC London) will be talking about cycle safety.
Guests include
  • The writer from The Times that did the main article about Cities fit for Cycling (forgot his name)
  • Someone from the LCC (I don't know who it is)
  • Someone from a lorry company (forgot which company)
  • And my self :smile:

Where waz ya, Gaz? Good to have the issues aired but I thought the programme was a bit inconsequential. Though admittedly, I missed a bit of Charlie Lloyd, the LCC guy. I'll see whether I can catch up on iPlayer later on.

I was very glad that it wasn't a phone-in show. Whenever someone lances a boil, the pus is the first to come out....

OP
OP
gaz

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Where waz ya, Gaz? Good to have the issues aired but I thought the programme was a bit inconsequential. Though admittedly, I missed a bit of Charlie Lloyd, the LCC guy. I'll see whether I can catch up on iPlayer later on.

I was very glad that it wasn't a phone-in show. Whenever someone lances a boil, the pus is the first to come out....
I was on just after 11 (only 10mins ago).

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I was on just after 11 (only 10mins ago).

Aha, I jumped the gun. The programme moved onto something unconnected with cycling so I went out before it started snowing (which it didn't). I have to say everybody was very civil out on the roads today - I'll put that down to the weather and not the campaign:smile:

MrHappyCyclist

Riding the Devil's HIghway
A good article from John Snow: "The Times Cycling Manifesto is good as far as it goes, but there is a serious dimension missing: human rights. The dominant creature on the urban road is the single-occupancy car. One person in a motorised 60 sq ft metal box. And what are we cyclists — one person on a thin strip of tubing with two wheels. One has the power, the presence and the rights; the other is deprived of all three. Is that equality under the law?"

Reactions: gaz

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
A good article from John Snow: "The Times Cycling Manifesto is good as far as it goes, but there is a serious dimension missing: human rights. The dominant creature on the urban road is the single-occupancy car. One person in a motorised 60 sq ft metal box. And what are we cyclists — one person on a thin strip of tubing with two wheels. One has the power, the presence and the rights; the other is deprived of all three. Is that equality under the law?"
1710117 said:
We lack rights? I don't think so. We may lack sufficient support and enforcement for those rights but at heart they are ours.

But in a stand-off between my rights and their might, my rights may as well not exist.

MrHappyCyclist

1710245 said:
I did understand that, I just thought that it might be good idea to remind us that we don't need anything new by way of laws etc just the will to uphold the existing ones.
Well, I think we do. When motor vehicles bring most of the risk to the roads, but cyclists and pedestrians bear most of the costs and consequences when it goes wrong, we definitely need a change in the law. Presumed liability is the norm in Europe; there are just five exceptions, of which the UK is one.

[EDIT: Corrected "four exceptions" to "five exceptions".]

MrHappyCyclist

1710267 said:
I wouldn't turn it down but I'd rather have the laws regarding acceptable standards of behavior on our roads enforced properly.
I agree, but we just don't have the money to pay for a police officer to be stationed on every street corner 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

AnotherEye

For the 3rd day running I've bought the Thymes, I'm bothered by "cyclists: look out for parked cars, they might suddenly open their doors .... Look out for wing mirrors as well as through the back windscreen to see if anyone in the car might be about to open a door" (p6 of today's guide). So they don't want to encourage us to give 3ft clearance (might slow down the traffic flow).

The biggest threat to cyclists is the poor standard of some drivers, I've yet to see that mentioned, we need to get some of them off the road permanently & the rest to fear the possibility.

(same as I just posted to CTC forum).

mumbo jumbo

I just went back to The Times campaign page and came across a safe cycling graphic - 12 points around a bike wheel, which you click through to see the issue explained. It was rather good but now I can't find it again! If you find it, can you post a link please?

Top Bottom