City to Essex

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChrisKH

Guru
I've posted this before on C+ but not really got much of a response. I used to think my commute into London was longer than it actually is, so haven't cycled. I did a Google map today and a work to home car ride is 32 miles which is eminently achievable by bike in the evening once or twice a month, even by me.

Thing is, a good proportion of that trip will be on the A13 which I rarely use, but I do know it's 70mph in places and more like a motorway. Does anyone know if the A13 is a viable route from London, City to Essex on a bike or do I need to switch to another (potentially longer) route (say A12, A127)? Any comments would be appreciated.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I have used the A13 on the way back from the London-Southend. Both myself and another cyclist opted to use the path next to it, if that tells you how it was. Fast, scary, and you have the danger of crossing high-speed sliproads.

I'm sure there must be lots of country lanes you could use as a better option?

OP
OP
ChrisKH

ChrisKH

Guru
Which is what I thought BM. The problem with country lane routes is knowing them (and the additional distance). I can probably get back via country lanes from Upminster, so it's just a case of working out a route to there.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I would suggest going on ACF and asking there - Nutty and Fatters should have a clue or two, amongst others. I'm sure you could find a decent route that didn't add very much distance at all.

OP
OP
ChrisKH

ChrisKH

Guru
I spoke to Nutty about this a couple of years ago and he was asking me for a route! I think I've worked something out. I can (reasonably) take the A13 to Barking/Dagenham and I know the backroads from there. Works out at 32 miles which is achievable for me on a Friday night if I leave early enough.

Top Bottom