1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

City to Essex

Discussion in 'Commuting' started by ChrisKH, 12 Sep 2007.

1. ChrisKH

ChrisKH Shorts Adjustment Expert

I've posted this before on C+ but not really got much of a response. I used to think my commute into London was longer than it actually is, so haven't cycled. I did a Google map today and a work to home car ride is 32 miles which is eminently achievable by bike in the evening once or twice a month, even by me.

Thing is, a good proportion of that trip will be on the A13 which I rarely use, but I do know it's 70mph in places and more like a motorway. Does anyone know if the A13 is a viable route from London, City to Essex on a bike or do I need to switch to another (potentially longer) route (say A12, A127)? Any comments would be appreciated.

2. BentMikey

BentMikey Rider of Seolferwulf

I have used the A13 on the way back from the London-Southend. Both myself and another cyclist opted to use the path next to it, if that tells you how it was. Fast, scary, and you have the danger of crossing high-speed sliproads.

I'm sure there must be lots of country lanes you could use as a better option?

3. ChrisKH

Which is what I thought BM. The problem with country lane routes is knowing them (and the additional distance). I can probably get back via country lanes from Upminster, so it's just a case of working out a route to there.

4. BentMikey

BentMikey Rider of Seolferwulf

I would suggest going on ACF and asking there - Nutty and Fatters should have a clue or two, amongst others. I'm sure you could find a decent route that didn't add very much distance at all.

5. ChrisKH

I spoke to Nutty about this a couple of years ago and he was asking me for a route! I think I've worked something out. I can (reasonably) take the A13 to Barking/Dagenham and I know the backroads from there. Works out at 32 miles which is achievable for me on a Friday night if I leave early enough.