Civil unrest in Liverpool

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Not really. Out of all 'top' Premier League clubs i find Liverpool the least repulsive!:smile: Whoever won the title,their fans would've done the same,though would those other clubs have gone ahead with that 3000 fans from Spain match?
Yup agree with you. But the Madrid match went ahead after Boris's effin scientists said it was safe to do so. The same scientists that now say lockdown should have started earlier, except for those wanting a bit of nookie with someone else's wife, or a trip to Barnard Castle.
20/20 hindsight is a wonderful thing.

But the scenes at Bournemouth were disgraceful. As were the scenes at Pier Head.

Even the police have said that those scenes would have happened at the home of whoever won the title. Doesn't make it right.

Do you know if there has been any spike in cases following the Bristol and London "events"?

lane

Veteran
The main spike is in Leicester rather than places which have had the large crowds which is interesting because as far as I am aware no one knows why. Parts of Leicester have case rates close to 10 times the national average.

We had the A58, a major arterial road in Bolton, (so that's 38 miles from Anfield BTW!) blocked off by plastic scouse football numpties t'other day.

They decided to randomly block the road, blaring car horns, setting off smoke bombs and dancing about on the central reservation, absolute bunch of cockwombles :cursing: Can you tell I don't like football? Never the less this I wouldn't condone this sort of idiocy if I did.

FB LINKY

Liverpool fans respectfully aimed firework rockets at the iconic Liver Building. Had it caught fire and burned to the ground, all of Liverpool would be grieving.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
We had the A58, a major arterial road in Bolton, (so that's 38 miles from Anfield BTW!) blocked off by plastic scouse football numpties t'other day.

They decided to randomly block the road, blaring car horns, setting off smoke bombs and dancing about on the central reservation, absolute bunch of cockwombles :cursing: Can you tell I don't like football? Never the less this I wouldn't condone this sort of idiocy if I did.

FB LINKY
Disgraceful,they should be supporting Bolton Wanderers. No wonder BW are in deep shoot!!:headshake:

a.twiddler

Veteran
People need to get a sense of proportion. It's just a game! Not worth risking death or disability for, or, if you don't value your own life/ health, how about risking your nearest and dearest's or other vulnerable people that you might unknowingly infect? There is a growing amount of information on longer term effects of COVID -19. There have to be better ways of expressing support for your club in the current environment, as it obviously plays such a big part in many people's lives.

I am not a football fan, though I have found Liverpool to be a warm and friendly pace. I have to say, one tiny bonus, at least for me, from lockdown, has been that it has stopped the second half of news programmes being taken up with football reporting at least until recently, when it has started to creep in again. Myself, I would not spend good money to sit or stand in a crowded stadium to watch a bunch of millionaires in shorts run around a field. The sad thing is, the people who pay for the tickets are probably mostly from the less well off part of society. Still, each to their own.

Whatever their interests, there are idiots everywhere, you can't blame all football fans for the behaviour of a minority (even if it is a sizeable minority). The same applies to the lemming like rush to the beaches just for self gratification purposes. We are not all Dominic Cummings, though most of us have the potential to behave like that, but we just don't. Do we?

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
The main spike is in Leicester rather than places which have had the large crowds which is interesting because as far as I am aware no one knows why. Parts of Leicester have case rates close to 10 times the national average.

People going outside wise, parts of Leicester have been back to normal for weeks, it's no wonder we are seeing a spike here.

a.twiddler

Veteran
No doubt we will see an increase in cases in the next couple of weeks due to the well publicised crowds in various areas with lack of social distancing.

In the US, Florida and Texas are reeling in their relaxation of restrictions due to a rapid increase of cases, Vice President Pence currently downplaying the likelihood that they are back in the pre lockdown situation (where is the President? leaving Pence to take the flak no doubt).

I hope that we won't need to back track. It's all very well giving back the people their toys, but will they stand for having them taken away a second time? Even when it is happening because a) we had poor leadership and poorly defined rules and b) a sizeable minority were playing fast and loose with the rules we were given. There is a lot to be said for the acronym, "KISS - (Keep it simple, stupid!) "

The Liverpool and Athletico match didn't make much difference as with 5,000 fans it was only a 1/6th of the usual daily tourist returns !!
It's arguable that 5,000 potential infected in one place is easier to cope with than 30,000 DAILY diverging all over the country...

Does anyone fully understand all the rules?
I've given over trying to keep track of what or when we can or can't do anything.

Everything seems to have exceptions or qualifications.

Boris really has missed a chance to control this by his over weaning desire to play up to his scientific advisers, who all have their own particular agenda. Everyone is playing CYA, and hoping for a knighthood when all is over.

a.twiddler

Veteran
Does anyone fully understand all the rules?
I've given over trying to keep track of what or when we can or can't do anything.

Everything seems to have exceptions or qualifications.

Boris really has missed a chance to control this by his over weaning desire to play up to his scientific advisers, who all have their own particular agenda. Everyone is playing CYA, and hoping for a knighthood when all is over.
The Government has not been paying much attention to its science team recently. At one time a representative would be there every day at the daily press conference but recently appearances have been rarer. The PM would like to blame the science for any issues but it is his need to be the "good guy" giving out "good news" after a fairly grim period that seems to be the main driver for his actions. Given that we still don't fully understand the ramifications of this virus yet, and the science seems to call for a cautious approach which he does not like, being under pressure from business interests which want to reopen sooner, he is between a rock and a hard place. Well, he wanted the job!

The World Beating Track and Trace set up has failed to materialise, and probably won't until the winter, now, yet the original premise of being able to lessen lockdown was that this should have been operational in May. Due to this mismanagement we may well have a second wave which will set back the economy further until the situation is properly under control.

So despite what you say, it is not the science that is driving Boris. He has made too many promises before having the resources to carry them out. Where is the testing? He is going to have to be accountable at some time, having wriggled his way through the lies and half truths of the Brexit fiasco, as though it was just a game. Now there is this, which is still killing people, and really, really puts what went before in the shade.

Top Bottom