Claiming on driver's insurance...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hoski

Veteran
I need a spot of advice from the hive mind, please.

I was involved in a RTC. I ain't going into the details etc., but I hit the left wing perpendicular to the car at approx 20mph... and managed to bend the forks/steerer tube and the downtube in the process. Obviously I'll need to get quotes for repair/valuation for replacement etc. from a few bike shops, etc. Thankfully I am relatively unscathed and whilst it's too early to be certain I don't think there's any issues there.

But my question is: the chappy involved has directed me to contact his insurance broker (it's a company vehicle). I have the name of the insurer also. Should I contact the broker (who I assume will deal with the claim from the client's perspective anyway) first, or lodge the claim with the insurer and let the process run its course that way?

I'm in a bit of a pickle over this so any help will be much appreciated and rewarded with beer/cake/energy gels*.

*I only have beer and cake. Sports nutrition scares me.

Dan B

Disengaged member
I don't know much about car insurance but in other areas it's not unheard of for the broker to manage claims themselves (or using a third party) instead of passing them on to the insurer. So if he says to talk to the broker, talk to the broker - worst case is they redirect you to the insurer anyway and you're out the cost of one phone call.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Claim direct from the insurance company.

No point in dealing with a middleman (broker) when you don't have to.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Start with the broker. It's entirely possible (as Dan B points out, this is very common) that the insurer has delegated authority to the broker.

Top Bottom