clanky freehub; safe to ride?

safe to ride?

• absolutely

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • not at all

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Since clanking is such a precise term and we can visualise exactly what's wrong with the freehub, it is of course safe to not ride with it.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Second worst case is that it goes into freewheel both ways mode when you're 20 miles from home, somewhere with no phone service.
Worst case is that it does so when you are out of the saddle, and drops your crotch on the top tube before you get to worry about how to get home.

Most likely, it will just carry on making clanking noises.

OP
OP
alecstilleyedye

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
Second worst case is that it goes into freewheel both ways mode when you're 20 miles from home, somewhere with no phone service.
Worst case is that it does so when you are out of the saddle, and drops your crotch on the top tube before you get to worry about how to get home.

Most likely, it will just carry on making clanking noises.
i’ll just baby it and sit and spin up the climbs then ;)

Gary E

Veteran
...or the loose bit inside migrates to a position where it locks up the freewheel and you're suddenly riding a fixie :smile:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The worst case in that scenario is to go over the bars and land on your head! (It happened to me when a bike slipped out of gear in a sprint and it hurt me - A LOT! :eek:)

Sharky

Guru
...or the loose bit inside migrates to a position where it locks up the freewheel and you're suddenly riding a fixie :smile:
This has happened to me. Not quite a "fixie", but the freehub continues to rotate, even though you stop pedalling and the chain bunches up and unships itself from the chain wheel. In my case taking it off and re-oiling cured it.

Top Bottom