Clapton didn't quite join The Beatles, but should McCartney and Starr join Cream?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
KneesUp

KneesUp

Guru
George Harrison played guitar with all the other solo Beatles and Clapton.
And Clapton played with his wife! naughty boy.
I should have said the only non-Beatle to have played guitar with the Beatles and all the solo Beatles!

I believe that Harrison referred to Clapton as his husband-in-law. They both treated Patti Boyd pretty badly as far as I can tell.

OP
OP
KneesUp

KneesUp

Guru
I liked George Harrison . He risked a lot in funding a Month Python film .
I know - imagine having just retired from being the The Beatles, and having to mortgage your house to raise $2 million though!

OP
OP
KneesUp

KneesUp

Guru
INow, whether it would truly work without the fire between Baker and Bruce is open to question, but as a student of rock I'd be well up to hearing them try. If nothing else it's all but guaranteed to be a massive commercial success.
I know it was Bruce and Baker that were always at each other's throats - but as someone who wasn't born at the time, was the perception that they were both argumentative, or that Baker was the main cause?

OP
OP
KneesUp

KneesUp

Guru
Useless Rock Fact Alert:
George Harrison played guitar on Badge......and jolly good he was too.

[media]

]View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSpW6MePb10[/media]

Useless 'Badge' fact - Clapton, Bruce and Baker had all agreed to write a new track for the 'Goodbye' album. Harrison was there when Clapton was writing his - the song that would become 'Badge' Clapton wrote 'bridge' to indicate where the bridge part of the song would go, but Harrison misread it as badge. This made Clapton laugh, so he adopted it as the song's title.

OP
OP
KneesUp

KneesUp

Guru
I’m willing to be informed otherwise, but usually these big name superstar collaborations rarely work brilliantly.
Cream were a 'supergroup' - they were all considered 'the cream' from being in other groups. It's arguable how well it turned out - they didn't last long, but they did some good stuff.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I like the Wilburys but they weren’t ground breaking.
I didn't have excavation in mind.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity

View: https://youtu.be/nvlTJrNJ5lA

check out Tommy Petty’s backing band.
apparently Tom’s usual drummer Stan Lynch didn’t show up for the video recording and was becoming unreliable which eventually lead to him being sacked.

they needed a drummer and George said he knew one who was local. Guess who turned up.

Last edited:

PaulB

Legendary Member
We've got a chap (in his late 60s I'd estimate) who's started sitting in on our ukulele sessions but sits right at the back away from everyone else. He doesn't mingle so I took time to listen to him and he's not up to speed by any means so I went across to sit with him at break time to ask how he was doing. He admitted he was struggling so I said to him, 'you want to persevere; Eric Clapton wasn't Eric Clapton right away you know.' and his answer? I kid you not it was 'Who's Eric Clapton?' I assumed he was joking but he was being serious! I ran a few Cream songs by him and he knew them by heart but didn't know Eric Clapton had been involved with them!

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Top Bottom