clarification needed any help appreciated

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jackthelad

Guys looking to put a mtb rear derailler onto a road bike 9 speed compact 50/34,and run it iwth a 11/32 cassette with 114 sram 971 chain.I was wondering if there is any difference between the 2 following links or are they the same

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/shimano-...ormal-standard-rear-derailleur-sgs-prod18155/

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360479069695?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I know the rd works ok but was wondering if the other is the same as it has differnt code nos

any help appreciated

jackthe lad

Why not just fit a road mech to your road bike and remove all the will it/won't it worries?

OP
OP
J

jackthelad

I am under the impression that you cant get a road mech that will go up to 32,if there is one,I would appreciate it if you could enlighten me thanks

I didn't think you could get Shimano Road mechs that would reach 32 on the rear, but you can get SRAM mechs that do.

Of course, you can't mix Shimano and SRAM so this probably isn't overly useful to you - sorry! (Unless you fancy replacing the whole gear system)

OP
OP
J

jackthelad

34 x 32.. Oh my. :sad: You should not need it.

Faster walking on road. Really....!

fossy you are probably right,after reviews cassette ratios I am beginning to think maybe a 12/27 or a 11/28 would be better suited to my needs.I climb very large hills at the moment on 12/25 and can get up them but would love something a little extra in reserve,I am maybe going to far with the 11/32.The rear derailler is a

OP
OP
J

jackthelad

The rear derailler is tiagra on a giant defy2 ,I recon if I replace with 12/27 and chain then I can keep the present derailler or if I went 11/28 would I need to change the derailler as well

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
The rear derailler is tiagra on a giant defy2 ,I recon if I replace with 12/27 and chain then I can keep the present derailler or if I went 11/28 would I need to change the derailler as well

I don't think you will have any problem. Look this up to check whether you have the GS version, then read this, plus you could check what is the largest rear cog the mech can clear by measuring the clearance between the top jockey and the largest rear cog when you are in that gear - for every 2mm you can increase by 1T, while knowing you can maximise that clearance by adjusting the B screw. If not sure just ask.

Top Bottom