Claris 11-32 or Sora 11-34

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cambsno

Still searching for a bike after 2 months of looking!!! Was really hoping to get one by now or pretty soon, as I would like to get some miles in Sept & Oct when weather should be half decent.

Had my heart set on the Specialized Allez, but lack of stock - did sit on one and felt good. But being tempted by spending a little more on a Giant Contend 1 which is available but not keen on the set - Allez is Claris 11-32 and Contend is Sora 11-34. Looking at the specs I get this:

Claris - 11-13-15-18-21-24-28-32
Sora - 11-13-15-17-20-23-26-30-34

So yes, I get an additional gear but the gaps for both are very close or the same - really don't see that £125 extra for that is worth it, unless someone can tell me otherwise? I live in Cambridge so a pretty flat area so not to concerned about steep hills. Generally the steepest hills round my way tend to be flyovers! Even if I was to look at my plan B (Trek Domaine AL2 - £50 cheaper than the Giant) I get the Claris set but gain discs.

The main difference is that at 15 I jump up an extra tooth on Claris, then at 24 it jumps 4 rather than 3 at 23, with the other jumps being the same at 2/3/4.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
If you don't have many hills to worry about save money and go with the cheaper option. Discs are a different matter and imho are wort having both for better stopping in all weathers and resale.

vickster

Legendary Member
Claris plus discs If riding in all weathers (what discs are they?) 11-32 will get you up pretty much anything anyhow

If it’s the new Claris R2000 with concealed gear cabling stick with Claris, cheapest to replace and the rear mech is compatible across the new range and older range. The front mech isn’t though but does work with Microshift. If it is the 2400 range then Sora upgrade is vanity more than anything for a clean look.

Also plus is that the Sora chainset works with Claris so you could upgrade when it wears out.

OP
OP
C

cambsno

Thanks - so maybe the Trek is the one, just wish I knew when the Allez may be available!

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks - so maybe the Trek is the one, just wish I knew when the Allez may be available!
Don't Sigma have it? Or will do...
https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Specialized/Allez-Road-Bike-2021/N0PX

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I will get the usual nasty comments about a certain company but if you want claris and discs on a road bike for a good price i am impressed with my Carrera vanquish
£400 and looking at the specs of the trek domane al disc it has very similar specs and weight , i have been using mine for commuting and now i have my fit dialed in i am finding it as fast as my rim brake bike which was a bit lighter .
The only things i changed were the seatpost as i can never get single bolt ones dead level and i have OCD with a spirit level set up and the saddle which is a personal choice .
img_20200711_095900554-jpg.jpg

Reactions: C R

vickster

Legendary Member
Been checking their site every day for last 2 weeks, and even did so at around 3pm so must have just missed the update!!!
Phone them up! It was saying 7-8 days, get on the wait list with a deposit. They have very good customer services

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Get the Domane, it's a rarer sight than the Allez and (subjective I know) but I think it looks nicer.
The gearing of either won't trouble you, not in Cambridgeshire. :okay:

Top Bottom