1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Classic bikes of the past...

Discussion in 'Mountain Biking, Trials and BMX' started by stevenb, 2 Sep 2007.

1. stevenb

stevenb New Member

2. barq

barq Senior Member

That's a fascinating website. Thanks.

3. stevenb

stevenb New Member

Brings back the memories from when I first started getting into my mountian bikes around 1990. :ohmy:

4. no Oranges

L

5. stevenb

stevenb New Member

To be fair...they are all American bikes on that website. But there are still many classics......The Cannondale V frame suspension.....mental looking machines.....:ohmy:

6. Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie hanging-on in quiet desperation ...

Shame they're all USA bikes, but I guess that's where they origiunated and where much of the lead has come from until recently at least.

I have an early British MTB, badged a n "FW Evans" it's made by Saracen from Reynolds 531 MTB tubing. It's an exact copy of the 1983 Stumpjumper and much of the componantry seemed a copy as well judging from the pictures.

Much is original, but drive-train, stem and bars have been replaced. It sports mudguards, a rack and a bsaket now and it's my commuting/pub/shopping hack.
    Drive train needs replacing again soon...thinking of going fixed/ss and getting some sexy wheels as a retro urban street machine.
    Ride is super stiff though...suspension seatpost required!

7. stevenb

stevenb New Member

Sounds great. Get a pic posted up if you can.:biggrin:

8. Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie hanging-on in quiet desperation ...

Stevenb
    That's a bit hi tech for me...but IF I can borrow my daughters digital camera I'll see what I can do...

An almost identical (but with original bars) is here, scroll-down to nicknack:
    http://www.anothercyclingforum.com/index.php?topic=710.15
    Apart from the drive train, mine has large flange hubs (how cool is that?).

I'll see if I can get a picky of my own baby :biggrin:.

9. stevenb

stevenb New Member

Cool. I see the triangular shaped handlebars on that bike.

Some nice bikes in that link! :biggrin:

Cheers

10. longers

longers Veteran

11. stevenb

stevenb New Member

I remember when the light beams came out.....I'm sure I used to see the XC riders use them in the Thomas Frishknecht days....Not something I'd care to use....and if I remember correctly the part where it attached to the frame used to break....:biggrin:

12. papercorn2000

papercorn2000 Senior Member

My friend had a TT bike with an Allsop softride beam. It was rubbish!

13. Smeggers

Smeggers New Member

No Marins booo

Allthough Im biased as my current MTB is a 1994 Marin Bear Valley :blush:

14. I worked @ Evans when that bike was new. I certainly touched it, I may even have sold it. Its a Conquest. It used (nasty soft) Haden lugs as Saracen, along with all the other British frame builders, werent then set up for Tig welding. Later Evans own brand bikes were manufactured by Nigel Dean and then by Orbit.

15. stevenb

stevenb New Member

My mate had one of them....was a wicked little bike.:smile:
    I had a marin Eldridge Grade with Manitou 4 elastomer suspension forks....the whole bike weighed 25lbs.....what a great machine that was.:blush: