Classic bikes of the past...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

barq

That's a fascinating website. Thanks.

OP
OP
stevenb

stevenb

To be fair...they are all American bikes on that website. But there are still many classics......The Cannondale V frame suspension.....mental looking machines.....:ohmy:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Shame they're all USA bikes, but I guess that's where they origiunated and where much of the lead has come from until recently at least.

I have an early British MTB, badged a n "FW Evans" it's made by Saracen from Reynolds 531 MTB tubing. It's an exact copy of the 1983 Stumpjumper and much of the componantry seemed a copy as well judging from the pictures.

Much is original, but drive-train, stem and bars have been replaced. It sports mudguards, a rack and a bsaket now and it's my commuting/pub/shopping hack.
Drive train needs replacing again soon...thinking of going fixed/ss and getting some sexy wheels as a retro urban street machine.
Ride is super stiff though...suspension seatpost required!

OP
OP
stevenb

stevenb

Fab Foodie said:
Shame they're all USA bikes, but I guess that's where they origiunated and where much of the lead has come from until recently at least.

I have an early British MTB, badged a n "FW Evans" it's made by Saracen from Reynolds 531 MTB tubing. It's an exact copy of the 1983 Stumpjumper and much of the componantry seemed a copy as well judging from the pictures.

Much is original, but drive-train, stem and bars have been replaced. It sports mudguards, a rack and a bsaket now and it's my commuting/pub/shopping hack.
Drive train needs replacing again soon...thinking of going fixed/ss and getting some sexy wheels as a retro urban street machine.

Sounds great. Get a pic posted up if you can.:biggrin:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
stevenb said:
Sounds great. Get a pic posted up if you can.:biggrin:

Stevenb
That's a bit hi tech for me...but IF I can borrow my daughters digital camera I'll see what I can do...

An almost identical (but with original bars) is here, scroll-down to nicknack:
http://www.anothercyclingforum.com/index.php?topic=710.15
Apart from the drive train, mine has large flange hubs (how cool is that?).

I'll see if I can get a picky of my own baby :biggrin:.

OP
OP
stevenb

stevenb

Cool. I see the triangular shaped handlebars on that bike.

Some nice bikes in that link! :biggrin:

Cheers

OP
OP
stevenb

stevenb

I remember when the light beams came out.....I'm sure I used to see the XC riders use them in the Thomas Frishknecht days....Not something I'd care to use....and if I remember correctly the part where it attached to the frame used to break....:biggrin:

Fab Foodie said:

I worked @ Evans when that bike was new. I certainly touched it, I may even have sold it. Its a Conquest. It used (nasty soft) Haden lugs as Saracen, along with all the other British frame builders, werent then set up for Tig welding. Later Evans own brand bikes were manufactured by Nigel Dean and then by Orbit.

OP
OP
stevenb

stevenb

Smeggers said:
No Marins booo

Allthough Im biased as my current MTB is a 1994 Marin Bear Valley :o)

My mate had one of them....was a wicked little bike.:smile:
I had a marin Eldridge Grade with Manitou 4 elastomer suspension forks....the whole bike weighed 25lbs.....what a great machine that was.:blush:

Top Bottom