Classic Raleigh - can anyone identify?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Phill Stevenson

as the title says. I recently got given a bike but don't know what model it is. If you need any further photos just say and I'll post them up :smile: Given it a bit of a clean up and a new tyre, can't wait to test it out on Ditchling beacon :smile:))

pubrunner

Legendary Member
as the title says. I recently got given a bike but don't know what model it is. If you need any further photos just say and I'll post them up :smile: Given it a bit of a clean up and a new tyre, can't wait to test it out on Ditchling beacon :smile:))

It looks a nice frame; it has decent fittings too - simplex shifters are rather sought after items.

Can you find any serial numbers ? (Under BB)

OP
OP
Phill Stevenson

Phill Stevenson

Oh thanks for the info pubrunner : ) Didn't realise it had some good parts on it. Although you can tell it's well put together.

Smokey I've looked on the website and with the number WS6000747 managed to identify it as a Raleigh made in the workshop in December 1976.

Also the word "custom" is embossed in the middle of the handle bars with the raleigh sign on the left and "made in england" on the right.

Drago

Legendary Member
Nice Arabesque (?) derailleurs, tasty. If it was built in '76 then that mech is a much later addition, as slant parallellogram mechs didn't come along until later.

Nice bike, in tidy condition yet with a pleasant patina. A good clean and service and that'll be a beaut.

pubrunner

Legendary Member
Very nice: that's a really decent bike!

Indeed; I bet it is a really comfortable bike to ride.

I love Super LJ shifters and have a couple of pairs: super smooth action and never need tightening: £25-odd on Ebay.

IMO, the Simplex Super LJ shifters are the best downtube shifters ever made.

I've a couple of pairs stashed away & I've got them fitted on a few of my bikes.

Phill has got himself a nice bike there; if it were mine, the only changes that I'd make, would be to fit SPD pedals and possibly a smaller inner chainring - 'tis hilly, where I live.

What size frame is it - looks at least 23" . . just my size :smile: .

OP
OP
Phill Stevenson

Phill Stevenson

Not too sure on the frame size with a couple of inches on the seat and I'm 5'11". I know the wheels are 28x700. I did notice some parts are much better condition than the others and I've heard it was looked after before it was forgotten so I imagine some part would have been replaced/upgraded. Will have to get some pictures when I have it in action tomorrow.

I believe the brakes are Weinmann 500s and the pedals are MKS MTE (Japan)

pubrunner

Legendary Member
. . . I recently got given a bike but don't know what model it is.

I wish I received gifts like this !

A few years ago, I owned a similar bike; it wasn't in as good 'nick' as yours, but I deeply regret parting with it. It was a great 'all-rounder' and very comfortable ! It is all very well having a bike with close clearances etc - on a long ride, comfort is the thing !

compo

Veteran
Nice Arabesque (?) derailleurs, tasty. If it was built in '76 then that mech is a much later addition, as slant parallellogram mechs didn't come along until later.

I am asking, not having a dig or trying to start an argument. Anyway, you are bigger than me:training:
How do you define "slant parallelogram" mechs?
Back in the mid 60's I had parallelogram derailleurs on my bike, first the old Benelux P4 and later a Campag, but I cannot remember the model of that.

alanf1968

Regular
I agree it would tie in the drive train, looks like some parts may have been changed from original, gear levers and brake calipers?

Top Bottom