Classic Raleigh - can anyone identify?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scilly Suffolk

Über Member
The Super LJ are definitely an upgrade, but I don't know about the calipers.

I've a 1989 Pug with what look like the same calipers, so they could be the right period: I think they have a plain date code which should help determine if they're OE.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I tend to agree with alanf1968 as a 76 bike would have a riveted metal head badge not a plaggy one as shown,unless someone replaced it after a respray.
Raleigh also carried on with the WS frame no after closing down Worksop but only on high end frames eg 531.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
If it was built in '76 then that mech is a much later addition, as slant parallellogram mechs didn't come along until later.
It looks like a plain non-slant parallelogram to me.
The Suntour patent on the slant parallelogram expired in 1984, and Shimano adopted it pretty sharpish after the patent expired.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I don't see why not as some of the staff who built frames at Worksop carried on in Ilkeston & Nottingham and all 531 frames were craftsman handmade ( 531 is not cheap! ) I have a similar quandary with mine as its either a 72 or 82 nobody knows and I,ve had conflicting advice from shops although it has a funny looking fitting on the rear chainstay which apparently is for hooking the chain on when removing the wheel suggesting 72 yet braze on shifter bosses and allen key fitting brakes (82). Its still a comfy ride but lively enough to spit you off if you don,t concentrate on riding and have to do something suddenly (twice its had me ,once whilst avoiding a monster pothole & again when panic braking both due to lack of attention) At least this one has not been turned into a fixie and has some nice kit on it, shame about the seat though as its crying out for a proper saddle (Brooks forever)

thegravestoneman

three wheels on my wagon
My Raleigh Record Ace I bought new from Shorter Rochfords in about 82/3 had the chain hook thingy ( like a nail head) It was a surprisingly useful feature. I would go and take a photo but some scrote nicked it last year.

thegravestoneman

three wheels on my wagon
The ops frame has one you can just about see it in the photo of the rear mech, so I would say it's an 86 bike too.

Sterba

Über Member
I thought we had already nailed this one, the frame number and other items pretty clearly identify it as an 86er

Bobtoo

Über Member
it has a funny looking fitting on the rear chainstay which apparently is for hooking the chain on when removing the wheel suggesting 72

My Carlton Criterium is definitely 1981, one of the last Worksop bikes, and it has that fitting.

OP
OP
Phill Stevenson

Phill Stevenson

Been a bit inactive but thanks for the lovely responses! It's had a fair bit of use since I was last on here a good 500/600 miles. I know you will all gasp and shake your fists but it has been kept outside... at the sea! The rust on the body/chrome is noticeable but not much I can do when commuting on it. The Golden Arrow parts took a bit of a crunch when I got hit by a car going through a red when my stronger brake snapped on me. Fun times! I think it is time for an upgrade soon though. I'll have a search through the forums ^^

I don't see why not as some of the staff who built frames at Worksop carried on in Ilkeston & Nottingham and all 531 frames were craftsman handmade ( 531 is not cheap! ) I have a similar quandary with mine as its either a 72 or 82 nobody knows and I,ve had conflicting advice from shops although it has a funny looking fitting on the rear chainstay which apparently is for hooking the chain on when removing the wheel suggesting 72 yet braze on shifter bosses and allen key fitting brakes (82). Its still a comfy ride but lively enough to spit you off if you don,t concentrate on riding and have to do something suddenly (twice its had me ,once whilst avoiding a monster pothole & again when panic braking both due to lack of attention) At least this one has not been turned into a fixie and has some nice kit on it, shame about the seat though as its crying out for a proper saddle (Brooks forever)
This looks like one of IIkeston Special Build Sections Creations by some of the staff "you mean the craftsmen from Carlton Cycles frame shop"& yes 86 sounds about right Carltons live on even if they have Raleigh Badges on! regards from Worksop

Top Bottom