Classic Trucks, Wagons

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Venod

Eh up
Been over that bridge this morning, now a traffic free footbridge, it had a lot of old York Stone large paving slabs, that were gradually being pinched, they have recently refurbished the surface and put bollards up.

@Venod

I presume you're referring to 'Hartleys Bridge' at FerryBridge?
The book cover is of the bridge at Sandy, in Bedfordshire

639799 639800 639801

Taken after the 'new' A1 opened

DRM

Guru
I was slightly unsure where to put this link to the Yorkshire Post, but I guess as one of the primary reasons for the 'GNR' is trade (1), it can go in the trucks & wagons thread

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/her...teYXegBHjjCMB2JU5-_GXw_p2rinkuibjclvlMsOSvpR8

1. In Micklefield (which was on the GNR, between the intersection with the M62. & HookMoor, where the M1 merges), there's a very well tended flowerbed that states;
View attachment 639783 View attachment 639784 View attachment 639785

Frank Goddards book is also excellent, illustrated in the 'Wainwright style'

View attachment 639782

https://www.waterstones.com/book/th...404ajukpT9LqvgdFV1-XXhkspS6pxCYaDVqT65WfaqCMo

Nice photo of a Bedford S type on the cover, there will have been a lot of those tramping up & down the A1 back then, as well as the RL military variants too, seen as North Yorkshire has many Army camps and RAF stations

I was indeed referring to the Ferrybridge Bridge, that appears in the Yorkshire Post link, but I did think the picture on the front of the book was the one and same.
I have 3 albums (& a 4th, 'in progress') of 'GNR' photographs on my FaceBook pages
The vast majority are of the route as it was, pre dual-carriageway/M-way standard
They portray the route it took through various towns & villages, from Newark-on-Trent, all the way up to Berwick-upon-Tweed

Saturday 23rd
Ackworth Scammell Spectacular

FAUN Koloss
Ex 'ALE'
These are big, that's a full size MAN (or Berliet) sleeper cab, converted to crew-cab
The walkways are about 2 foot wide, and (circa) 5' 6" to the platform!!

There's also a bigger 8x8 derivative!
DSCI0257.JPG

DSCI0259.JPG

DSCI0260.JPG

DSCI0261.JPG

A Scammell Contractor isn't exactly a small truck, but next to the FAUN.........................

DSCI0258.JPG

Top Bottom