Classic Trucks, Wagons

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cavalol

Guru
Those twin split gearbox things confused the hell out of me. Used to drive the odd truck in/out of the workshops in my tyre fitting days, and never got the hang of that.
The one I loved the most (at the time) was a Sudden Accident tractor unit with a Rolls Royce engine. It sounded and went very nicely indeed round the yard.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Those twin split gearbox things confused the hell out of me. Used to drive the odd truck in/out of the workshops in my tyre fitting days, and never got the hang of that.
The one I loved the most (at the time) was a Sudden Accident tractor unit with a Rolls Royce engine. It sounded and went very nicely indeed round the yard.
Some of em are quite logical, this has an air operated pre-selector for the split between each gear on the main box

View: https://youtu.be/5pwhm_xoDiY

It's the weird ones where you go through the box, flick a switch then start again that are confusing (so my mate Pete reckons and he drove trucks for 45+yrs)

Whilst we've been up in Northumberland, we ended up visiting this place; https://www.chainbridgehoney.com/visitor-centre/

There's quite a collection there!!:okay:

Vickers Vigor (think there was a model that had a RR Meteorite engine?)

Unimog U1300
I wanted this!!

Mercedes-Benz MB Trac 800

A late 40's/early 50's Mog:wub::wub:

Attachments

• DSCF1047.JPG
    DSCF1047.JPG
    181.1 KB · Views: 7

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Some of em are quite logical, this has an air operated pre-selector for the split between each gear on the main box

View: https://youtu.be/5pwhm_xoDiY

It's the weird ones where you go through the box, flick a switch then start again that are confusing (so my mate Pete reckons and he drove trucks for 45+yrs)

Yes.. They can be confusing, at first. Throw the fact that there was no synchro mesh, so it was double declutch on all the gears that you actually needed to use the clutch for! 😂

screenman

Legendary Member
The sloping 6 cylinder engine of the d series was a pig to work on until you got used to them.The big screw that held the cab down was unusual.cold start in the grille with a hand lever for the accelerator
Push down the accelerator and pull out the cold start/excess diesel.

I started my apprenticeship in 1971 working mainly on the Dseries.

This is all nostalgia with you lot sat in front of the fire with a beer.

Going up Stotch in winter with the rivers froze over on both
banks. Then sleeping in the back with drafty floorboards around
-10c. Then crashing through 3 foot snow drifts at 4 am to evacuate
Inverness, because of major storm coming in.
luckily I had a old ratchet handbrake which I put half-on just before I hit the
drift. This kept the pantechnicon straight as it shuddered through
drifting snow.

One lad had to deliver an upright rugby pole to a golf club,
they where going to use it as a flagpole. At 13ft 9inch his van could
not get under a tree on the long drive. After a long walk they wouldn’t
give him a lift to deliver. Undeterred he got a saw and cut of the offending
branch. Later on the Governor got a call of complaint from the golf
club because the tree was listed. “Tough” he said “we can’t redeliver
because of your poor access”
The driver got a commendation with oak-leaf cluster
because he had a second world war dispatch rider mentality.

In the yard we had this thing: which had a Chinese 6 speed crash Box in it.
That’s right the gears were the wrong round, ideal for a wet afternoon
in Chelsea.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Another steamer. I have some of the bigger engines but will need to transfer them later if anyone is interested.
590C581F-A17C-490A-B3FD-2266DE265C55.png

Scottish Scrutineer

Über Member
@Prometheus I remember a Merc with a Chinese gear change! By golly, you could play some music on that if you slammed it the wrong way :laugh:
I used to instruct on a Merc with the reversed gearchange (6-speed) when I worked at GMT in Aberdeen. We had another Merc which had a conventional double-H pattern 8-speed box. Monday morning's demonstration drive with commentary was always an interesting start to the week if you had swapped between trucks. I drove a Foden with a 13-speed Eaton box and used to like the Eaton Twin-Splitters; never used the clutch once you were rolling. Today's automatics are really quite a revelation, especially when some are linked to the GPS mapping so know what the terrain is doing and adjust the gear changing accordingly.

Top Bottom