Claud Butler - any good?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chugsy

Hi,

I want to retire my aging Carrera Fury from commuting duties and was interested in this via the Cyclescheme:

http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/claud-butler-urban-item121785.html

componentry seems respectable enough for the price - does anyone have one they care to comment on or the brand in general?

I've actually already put down a deposit on the Giant Escape R1 but am having second thoughts as they only have 17inch in stock and my MTB is 18... felt ok when I sat on it but I didn't get a chance to ride it :thumbsup: - my fault as I had a last minute change of heart from the Escape Mini 1 (which I did test ride the day before...)

Thanks

HaloJ

Rabid cycle nut
I ride a Claud Butler Explorer 200 each day. Not a bad bike but in the realm of you get what you pay for. Although covering 1000 miles on it in 4 months was maybe asking a lot of a £300 bike.

Still it has managed to cope with riding through the pothole hell that is London for 800 of those miles and stood me well on a 40 mile ride. Gearing is set for about 28mph pedalling like a maniac. It says "not for jumps" on the forks but it nicely soaks a speed bump jump. ;) Mine is a more sporty ride to the one you're looking at and is nice and nimble through traffic just wish that it had thinner bars.

Personally, Norm's experiences of cyclocross bikes has got me tempted to go down that route.

See this thread :
http://cyclechat.net/forums/showthread.php?t=56630

OP
OP
chugsy

chugsy

Thanks for the review - had considered the Cyclocross route but drop bars are alien to me now - I was all fingers and thumbs on the Mini 1 test ride. Also, I'd prefer to keep costs down as much as possible and they don't start cheap.

HaloJ

Rabid cycle nut
Well in that case....

My bike hasn't failed me yet. Replace the Kenda tyres as they are crap for punctures. I'm now running a set of 700x35 Marathan Plus. Brakes are good and not much nose dive even with the forks set light. My main gripe is the lack of top speed as I regularly find myself running out of gears but I used to ride road bikes as a kid (20 years ago) so like going quick.

OP
OP
chugsy

chugsy

Not much chance of me hitting 28mph any time soon! Max speed on the Fury is 22 on a flat and only 25 down hill :|
I see from the Claud Butler website the Urban Commuter has a MTB chainset so I may see little improvement even with 700c tyres...

Still, I went to the Bike Doctor yesterday (SusTrans sponsered thingy at work) who gave me a very long list of repairs so it really is time to move on.

I'll have a gander when the voucher arrives... Thanks!

Moodyman

Legendary Member
They're good bikes, but so is pretty much everything else in the same price range.

From my limited knowledge, Claud Butler, in general, is a brand exploitation. The real CB was a famous rider who started producing bikes pre-WW2.

Falcon Cycles bought the CB name some time ago and re-badge some of their lesser known brands as CB. By buying a CB, you're effectively buying a British Eagle, Townsend, etc with a better badge (and slight improvements).

Nothing wrong with the CB bikes, but you might as well buy a Townsend and pocket the difference.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
I've had a few CB hybrids over they years, solid, unspectacular and good general purpose bikes. the took the miles and eat the bumps well enough. Still got an old legend one in the shed, just needing a new brake/gear combo lever and I'd happily ride it again just as much as my more expensive cannondale

killiekosmos

Veteran
I've had a CB Legend for 5 years. It has a similar spec. Done 3500 miles with just routine services, including two tours. I use it for commuting in summer too. It's a bit heavy.

mikeitup

Veteran
chugsy said:
Hi,

I want to retire my aging Carrera Fury from commuting duties and was interested in this via the Cyclescheme:

http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/claud-butler-urban-item121785.html

componentry seems respectable enough for the price - does anyone have one they care to comment on or the brand in general?

I've actually already put down a deposit on the Giant Escape R1 but am having second thoughts as they only have 17inch in stock and my MTB is 18... felt ok when I sat on it but I didn't get a chance to ride it :laugh: - my fault as I had a last minute change of heart from the Escape Mini 1 (which I did test ride the day before...)

Thanks

I recently replaced my 2007 Carrera Fury for a Claud Butler Dalesman Tourer. It's a bit nippier and on my ride to and from Brum yesterday it was great (til some fit git went past me on a roadie at J7 M6 :smile:) and I felt a bit useless.

Hi to you all,greetings from TheCyclingRooster to chugsy. I have an early 2009 Claud Butler Levante(Flat Bars) Model No 8536. The model that was Black up front and White everwhere else, with the trim colours in Red-Grey-Black. A quite stunning combination. The usual 24 speed (3x8) on a 52/42/30 triple. The wheels are QR Rijida Nova 28 spoke,front & rear,black finish. I bought it new from my local CB stockist in May 2009 for £404.00. A very nice light,frisky to handle Hybrid, on 700x23 Maxxis Detanator Tyres. It was listed with Kenda K-Sport 30 Tpi 700x25c tyres but came with the Maxxis. I looked at all of the options £50.00 either side of what I paid for it and considered nearly new but settled for the CB.I have reduced the bar width to 480mm(19").I do not regret my decision to purchase it.It makes a nice leisurely change to my drop bar Bianchi Gold Race 600 Reparto Corse. Happy & Safe Riding to You All.

OP
OP
chugsy

chugsy

Thanks for the replies and advice towards other models... problem is they all inch the overall cost up evermore:laugh:

Like I said previously my 1st choice was the Giant Escape Mini 1 at 250 quid which then became Giant Escape R2 which is roughly the same money. Then I convinced myself the R1 was worth the extra 50-60 for better shifters, dérailleur, brakes.... it's very easy to get carried away with spending more when there's always another model for ' another' 50 quid with better spec. Although I can afford a lot more than £300 I've set myself a maximum and I'm going to try to stick to it!

Thanks again and I'll let you all know the outcome.

Cheers!

OP
OP
chugsy

chugsy

If only Halfrauds was on my cyclescheme... the choice would have been very straightforward - boardman all the way!!!

HaloJ

Rabid cycle nut
TheBoyBilly said:
Scott P6 Sportster -£329.99 from Evans. It's all you need and without the weight of a suspension fork that doesn't really do much.

Funnily enough it was the P6 I was going to get when I was waiting for my cycle-to-work voucher. Rather unfortunately though my work was slow sorting it out and the damn thing went out of stock.

Top Bottom