Claud Butler - any good?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
chugsy

chugsy

In the end I went with the Giant - despite being a small (the only size in stock) it seems to fit me ok (5'11 (frame says for 5'4 - 5'7 - only saw that when I got home)) - just needs a little adjustment in the bars and saddle... might transfer my "bling bits" from the mtb over the weekend.

Annoyingly I did not pick up that the rear disc rubs on the pads - anyone au fait with Giant MPH hydraulic brakes? Chap at the shop said I could widen the gap with a flat screwdriver - I'll make that my last resort!

Pictures soon...

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Nothing as polished and modern as your choice, but I ride (and have ridden for around 10 years) a CB.

In her day she was "top of the range" with a full ally frame and pretty good components, including maintenance free front shock's.

a decade later (with a great deal of that time spent off road and in the air!) she still carry's me 120 miles a week (now on the road with a set of armadillo Slim-line boots) and is smooth and pretty much creak/rattle free (one tiny and pretty rare creak..possibly from the crank, possibly from the seat post..hard to tell).

I know the CB brand has taken a few re-incarnations with Falcon etc, so not sure how the modern incarnations stand up...but Chitty (my bike) has proven to be pretty much bullet-proof so far.

(Sigh...love old chitty, she's a smasher)

Alan Whicker

I had a CB Xanthos MTB for ages. It was as comfy as an armchair and built like a Sherman tank. Even did some road touring on it without even bothering to change the knobbly tyres! I wonder where it is now?

OP
OP
chugsy

chugsy

Pictures

Even though this has turned into a love in for all things CB :ohmy: here are some pictures of the new ride. Compared to my old Carrera the cockpit is a fair bit shorter - looks like I'll be looking for a longer stem if I can't get on with this setup :biggrin:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

mind you, I was getting some back cramp on the mtb on my last commute so maybe stretching out isn't so good for me?

I know fit is important, but as kids we were always swapping bikes - even with much older lads and always seemed to manage without a thought (okay there were occasional probs with getting feet down) If your Giant has scope for adjustment and you end up comfortable then you will have many happy miles ahead. According to common sense my Spesh Langster is waaay too big for me but I seem to manage just fine and love the stretched out position. My mtb, on the other hand, is much more compact which is how I like it over the rough stuff.

PatrickPending

Legendary Member
I had a CB for about a year - started to fail after 3 weeks...biggest pile of **** I ever bought - I e-mailed the company with regards to some of it such as the wheels failing after 3 weeks - they (falcon cycles) washed their hands of it....that says it all for me....

Top Bottom