Claud Butler Criterium - mid 90s

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
philtalksbx

philtalksbx

Über Member
Being a relative 'newb' here, I got here 'late to the party'

But, also being the owner of TWO circa 1998 Claud Butlers (same vintage), I've been reading this thread, with some degree of interest.

Having read your quote, above, had me thinking.

Tint/shade/colour-match of your (bike), C.B's frame, is near identical that of my V.W Passat - 'LC5X'

In it's day, 'LC5X' , otherwise known as "Inky Blue" was considered THE best shade to have - (according to V-Dub forums)

Naturally, when I aquired my car, I wanted (in reserve) a touch-up paint phial, lest it be needed to cover scratches, etc.

Dunno' "if" it's still available in 'rattle-cans', but I got a small inexpensive phial of the stuff, from E-Bay U.K - (automotive paint-seller)

Obv's two years have now elapsed since ya posted this, so, I'll assume that you may/might still have it & using it ?

Oh and this poor fella here, below, seemingly went "unanswered"....

I'd also LIKE to know the upshot of this, or at least WHERE the metal 'CR-MO' tubing on mine were/was made ?

In (minor) answer to Bazra - Mine has a serial-number, on both of them - (as I bought another, exactly the same, identical)

As they ARE the same vintage, it's not unreasonable to assume they WERE built at the same place, time-frame, area.

"Brigg" in Lincolnshire, if my frame (factory) stickers are seen to believe - Am told it's near the River Humber, without looking !

Frame stickers (directly underneath the name/model) clearly/proudly state "MADE IN ENGLAND"

I'll chuck-in the photograph (from 2013), of my "older" one of the two, which I bought in summer 1998 - seen below...

P.S ; Here's hoping that someone might choose to answer the fella's questions, as I'd be also interested to know, too (please !)

View attachment 644781
Hi and thanks for picking up on the thread.

The Peugeot paint is a useful tip, the Ford colour I went with isn’t quite right when you get up close.

Sorry about the frame question, there isn‘t any number stamp on the BB of this frame. I did hear that by the time this was produced, they had gone into a fairly mass-produced mode, even though still using 531 for the main frame. Not sure about the forks though as they are not lugged, and very different to earlier frames.

I think it is an underrated frame. It runs well, and in current guise comes in at 10.2kg all up.

I have gone to a 1x9 now which is lovely. 11-30 cassette with Dura-Ace 7400 mech, works a treat. I had to swap to a pair of Aksium wheels I had in the garage for the 9 speed hub and they don’t run quite as nicely as the previous set. Maybe that’s my next project.

Hornchurch

Hi and thanks for picking up on the thread.

The Peugeot paint is a useful tip, the Ford colour I went with isn’t quite right when you get up close.

Peugeot Phil ?
Peugeot ?
I thought they wuz French ?
That 'LC5X' colour-match I quoted ya, was for my V.W Passat - (Germanic, I thought !)

Any mention thesedays of Peugeot brings me back to that laughable sketch w/James May & Clarkson ('Top Gear')
"We make 'orrible cars, verrry 'oribble")

Sorry about the frame question, there isn‘t any number stamp on the BB of this frame.

Phil, mate, despite me riding since 1968, I have zero clue what 'on the BB of this frame' actually is ?

Is that the metal-stamp as seen on the absolute underside, near where the crank is ?

My own Claud Butlers DO have that - Alas, I've not written them down yet & two were only bought very recently (Apr'/May)

Two of the (three) C.B's that I own actually do have a frame stamp 'sticker' on the lower-downtube - I'll attach a photo'

I've (rather amatuerishly), highlighted this in RED , below - This being the C.B that I picked-up on April 23rd - (E-bay purchase, Essex)

ham2,.jpg

I did hear that by the time this was produced, they had gone into a fairly mass-produced mode,

I think it is an underrated frame. It runs well,

I have gone to a 1x9 now which is lovely. 11-30 cassette with Dura-Ace 7400 mech, works a treat.

Perhaps I shall start a new-thread (at some later-date), to ask & find out more about this subject, rather than litter your thread - (Laughs !)

Like I mentioned in my prev' post, the crossbar decals proudly state "MADE IN ENGLAND" on both my Silver ones, (seen above/below)

Given it's 1998 - Yet other folks elsewhere (forums) assure me this was made in China/Bangladesh/Don't Delete, All Applicable - (Not !)

As your lovely Blue one is a 1997 (or so, i.e, "Earlier"), I'd imagine that same rules apply, in other words, Brigg, Lincolnshire, no ?

DSC01311 - Handbuilt in England  'LX' - 1022 pixels.jpg

Also Phil - You mention that your Blue bike "runs well", as do all three of my C.B's - Two above & another gratuitous shot, I'll chuck in..(Below

"Runs like a Rolls Royce" , an old cliche maybe, but mine do NOT click, squeak, jolt, rattle, whatever = Just smooth as silk & all a joy to ride.

The only C.B "Road Bike" I own, is also, by chance, named "Claud Butler Criterium" - But a much newer bird than yours & very different

I may even open a thread on/about this one at some later-date - However, bikes "from the far-east" are frowned-on by the snobs !

IMG_2918 - 1014 pixels.jpg

Nickcycle

Many thanks Hornchurch for the tip on the VW inky blue for a close colour match. My CB has picked up a few small chips so will give that a go.

Hornchurch

Many thanks Hornchurch for the tip on the VW inky blue for a close colour match.

My CB has picked up a few small chips so will give that a go.

Hi Nick & many thanks for your kind reply !

I've looked at Phil's bike (& thread again) & it looks / appears to be an excellent match indeed - (actual bike in the pix)

There are several 'Dark Blue' V.W metallics in the V.W Passat range, but the (slightly) lighter shade is named "Inky Blue"

Sounds like a rather 'child-like' way of naming / phrasing it, but that's it's official name.

Again, just as a reminder - The paint code is = L C 5 X

You can buy fairly inexpensive phials (usually acrylic), from car-paint vendors over on E-Bay UK

Of course, back in the day, the AIRFIX type "Humbrol" Enamels woulda been the best-bet, but I doubt they have that shade / hue.

Nickcycle

Hi Nick & many thanks for your kind reply !

I've looked at Phil's bike (& thread again) & it looks / appears to be an excellent match indeed - (actual bike in the pix)

There are several 'Dark Blue' V.W metallics in the V.W Passat range, but the (slightly) lighter shade is named "Inky Blue"

Sounds like a rather 'child-like' way of naming / phrasing it, but that's it's official name.

Again, just as a reminder - The paint code is = L C 5 X

You can buy fairly inexpensive phials (usually acrylic), from car-paint vendors over on E-Bay UK

Of course, back in the day, the AIRFIX type "Humbrol" Enamels woulda been the best-bet, but I doubt they have that shade / hue.

Thanks, my CB is same colour as Phil’s and having now got a phial of LC5X off e bay, it does match in well.

Top Bottom