Claud Butler Criterium - mid 90s

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
philtalksbx

philtalksbx

Über Member
Next step today was to swap the rear mech for a Dura-Ace 7700. It will run in 7-speed mode until I can source some 9-speed shifters, the cassette is ready but the current shifters are 7-speed and I quite like the indexing so don't fancy going to friction shift just yet. Who knows, if I can't find any, it may just have to happen.
IMG_0304.jpeg

The cable outer ought to be white to match the brakes, I'll sort that out soon.

Next up is the triple crankset but I'm waiting for delivery of an ISO bottom bracket - the beautiful Campagnolo Veloce triple sits so far out on the existing JIS bracket so it reluctantly has to wait for a narrower one with the right fitting. Sometime this week in theory.

OP
OP
philtalksbx

philtalksbx

Über Member
Change of plan on the Claud as it becomes the go-to ride for short trips around town. With a raid of the parts boxes and a bit of trickle-down swapping from other frames, it is now sporting a 1x9 setup with the Dura-Ace finally matched with a nine speed cassette that happened to be on a nice pair of Aksium wheels. I also put on some 105 brakes that wouldn't fit my other project. This is a really smooth ride that belies its humble origins. It's meant to be a town bike so not too smart, but I really struggle with that part. Oh well, just have to keep going with the really strong locks and chains.

IMG_0443.jpeg

I rubbed down and painted the top tube after a search of local cars for a similar colour - its a bit dark but does the job and you have to be up close to spot it.

IMG_0444.jpeg

Not sure what the vegetation in the rear mech is - I'll sort that out later.

IMG_0445.jpeg

Proper stopping power.

Nickcycle

Very nice, really enjoying your posts on the Claud. I have the same bike, same colour which I have owned since 1997. It had been sitting unused for several years, though riding it again now, and from following your posts, it has inspired me to have a go at a few improvements. New rims and brakes I think will be next.

OP
OP
philtalksbx

philtalksbx

Über Member
Very nice, really enjoying your posts on the Claud. I have the same bike, same colour which I have owned since 1997. It had been sitting unused for several years, though riding it again now, and from following your posts, it has inspired me to have a go at a few improvements. New rims and brakes I think will be next.
Ah, thanks for that Nick. It’s a lovely bike, much maligned in some quarters but rides better than it’s reputation suggests. At the age it is, will take modern components without too much trouble, which makes the updates a lot more straightforward. Have fun and I hope you will share some of your improvements to keep things rolling along.

Bazra

Hi. Any idea of the builder of these frames, are they UK built or overseas? Does your frame have a serial number?

avalon

Guru
Hi Philtalksbx. I've owned one of these from new since 1996. Everything but the frame, including the forks, has been replaced over the years and although I have several other bikes, this is probably the one that gets used the most. I don't know what it weighs, but it's a lot lighter than it was and is a very comfortable, responsive ride.

Last edited:

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Change of plan on the Claud as it becomes the go-to ride for short trips around town. With a raid of the parts boxes and a bit of trickle-down swapping from other frames, it is now sporting a 1x9 setup with the Dura-Ace finally matched with a nine speed cassette that happened to be on a nice pair of Aksium wheels. I also put on some 105 brakes that wouldn't fit my other project. This is a really smooth ride that belies its humble origins. It's meant to be a town bike so not too smart, but I really struggle with that part. Oh well, just have to keep going with the really strong locks and chains.

View attachment 544427

I rubbed down and painted the top tube after a search of local cars for a similar colour - its a bit dark but does the job and you have to be up close to spot it.

View attachment 544428

Not sure what the vegetation in the rear mech is - I'll sort that out later.

View attachment 544429

Proper stopping power.
Did you need to drill out the holes to fit the 105 bolts phil?

OP
OP
philtalksbx

philtalksbx

Über Member
Did you need to drill out the holes to fit the 105 bolts phil?
No - they just slotted in perfectly. I think that is the advantage of the 90's vintage frame as it is sized for the more recent components. By comparison, I also have an 80s Raleigh that I tried to do the same thing with, but would need to be drilled and even then would also need long drop brakes, so the 105 option was out of the question. On that one, I used some Tektro callipers that don't need the frame drilling and work with 700c rims.

OP
OP
philtalksbx

philtalksbx

Über Member
Hi Philtalksbx. I've owned one of these from new since 1996. Everything but the frame, including the forks, has been replaced over the years and although I have several other bikes, this is probably the one that gets used the most. I don't know what it weighs, but it's a lot lighter than it was and is a very comfortable, responsive ride.

View attachment 575507
Love it - they are really great and quite underrated bikes in my opinion. I didn't expect much when I got mine, just a bit of tinkering through last year's first lockdown and then it came together in such a good way and so like you, I ride it whenever I get the chance. The 1x9 is really slick and for a casual ride without too many steep climbs or flat out sprints it is so good.

Nickcycle

Hi Philtalksbx, from following your posts on your CB and my post last September, plus reading Avalon’s post there recently, I spent a chunk of the winter period improving my 1997 Criterium, which I have owned since then. i retained the cxp 10 wheels but serviced the hubs, changed the BB, crankset, cassette and brakes. Derailleurs - shimano 105, rx100 brake callipers and downtube shifters. Finished it off with a set of Pirelli PZero 25mm tyres and a Brooks cambium C17 saddle. Riding it as my go to bike every week and really enjoying it again, learning a ton of stuff along the way on the rebuild.

OP
OP
philtalksbx

philtalksbx

Über Member
That looks very nice, and very familiar. I like the way the frame can take a wide range of components so there is a lot of choice if, like me, you are just looking for a nice ride.

I used mine on a station run today on the way to work, the first for many months. It always makes me smile after a long day.

OP
OP
philtalksbx

philtalksbx

Über Member
After a long layoff I went back to the parts bin today.

Inspired by ads I've been seeing lately from Temple Cycles for a "Classic Lightweight" for £945 I couldn't help thinking how close my Claud could be to that spec. Off came the drop bars, swapped on a black flat(ish) bar and some suitable levers and the job's a good 'un.

IMG_0154.png

It still has the downtube 1x7 but I have a Deore trigger shifter on the way that should sort that out, perhaps with a mech and nine speed cassette if I can find compatible bits in the box. Happy days!

Hornchurch

Next is to ride it around Oxford

Looking out for metallic blue cars to sidle up alongside and try to colour match for a rattle can to do some spot repairs on the rusty bits - not thinking of a full strip and spray just yet. The long term plan will evolve over time I'm sure, and I'll post more as bits come and go and it progresses over the summer.

Being a relative 'newb' here, I got here 'late to the party'

But, also being the owner of TWO circa 1998 Claud Butlers (same vintage), I've been reading this thread, with some degree of interest.

Having read your quote, above, had me thinking.

Tint/shade/colour-match of your (bike), C.B's frame, is near identical that of my V.W Passat - 'LC5X'

In it's day, 'LC5X' , otherwise known as "Inky Blue" was considered THE best shade to have - (according to V-Dub forums)

Naturally, when I aquired my car, I wanted (in reserve) a touch-up paint phial, lest it be needed to cover scratches, etc.

Dunno' "if" it's still available in 'rattle-cans', but I got a small inexpensive phial of the stuff, from E-Bay U.K - (automotive paint-seller)

Obv's two years have now elapsed since ya posted this, so, I'll assume that you may/might still have it & using it ?

Oh and this poor fella here, below, seemingly went "unanswered"....

Hi. Any idea of the builder of these frames, are they UK built or overseas?
Does your frame have a serial number?

I'd also LIKE to know the upshot of this, or at least WHERE the metal 'CR-MO' tubing on mine were/was made ?

In (minor) answer to Bazra - Mine has a serial-number, on both of them - (as I bought another, exactly the same, identical)

As they ARE the same vintage, it's not unreasonable to assume they WERE built at the same place, time-frame, area.

"Brigg" in Lincolnshire, if my frame (factory) stickers are seen to believe - Am told it's near the River Humber, without looking !

Frame stickers (directly underneath the name/model) clearly/proudly state "MADE IN ENGLAND"

I'll chuck-in the photograph (from 2013), of my "older" one of the two, which I bought in summer 1998 - seen below...

P.S ; Here's hoping that someone might choose to answer the fella's questions, as I'd be also interested to know, too (please !)

DSC01311 - Handbuilt in England  'LX' - 1022 pixels.jpg

Top Bottom