Claud Butler sierra part 3

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
This is now in my possession as i collected it from @Drago of this parish last night see below links telling it's story prior to it's arrival .

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/claud-butler-sierra.216142/

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/project-phoenix.263453/

So far I have covered 1.5 miles on it after lowering the saddle and stem , it's a 25" frame so a bit bigger than my normal size range but i have clearance so i will ride it despite being such a gate it 's short along the top tube so need to find a longer stem once i have worked out what length i need .

IMG_20231028_085736602_HDR.jpg

It rides really smoothly so looking forward to doing some miles on it once i have sorted out the stem ,and i need to have a look to see what i have in the way of full length guards i have laying around that can be fitted .

I have swapped the brooks for a Selle smp and moved the bottle cage on to the frame.

IMG_20231028_163743054.jpg

Drago

Legendary Member
Nice to see the old bus ready for action.

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Last edited:
This is now in my possession as i collected it from @Drago of this parish last night see below links telling it's story prior to it's arrival .

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/claud-butler-sierra.216142/

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/project-phoenix.263453/

So far I have covered 1.5 miles on it after lowering the saddle and stem , it's a 25" frame so a bit bigger than my normal size range but i have clearance so i will ride it despite being such a gate it 's short along the top tube so need to find a longer stem once i have worked out what length i need .

View attachment 711501

It rides really smoothly so looking forward to doing some miles on it once i have sorted out the stem ,and i need to have a look to see what i have in the way of full length guards i have laying around that can be fitted .

I have swapped the brooks for a Selle smp and moved the bottle cage on to the frame.

View attachment 711563

That saddle belongs in a Salvador Dali painting.

V-CC

The Sierra model is not in the 1982 CB catalogue. We do not have the 1983 catalogue but it is in the 1984 and 1985 catalogues. Yours is possibly later? Two extracts from the 1985 catalogue for interest.

Sierra 1985.png

Sierra specification.png

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
What's your usual frame size, Biggs?

Sorry for late reply anything between 22" and 24" is best suited but happy to go a bit either way for the right bike.

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Longest ride so far still only 3 miles but it's been a bit damp for a non guard fitted bike just recently.
I wanted to try a few adjustments as I feel that it's too cramped along the top tube but centre to centre is about my optimum length so need to try shifting saddle back , mainly because @Drago has done such a good job with the bar tape I am reluctant to swap the stem out just an extra 15 or so mm unless I really have to

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Longest ride so far still only 3 miles but it's been a bit damp for a non guard fitted bike just recently.
I wanted to try a few adjustments as I feel that it's too cramped along the top tube but centre to centre is about my optimum length so need to try shifting saddle back , mainly because @Drago has done such a good job with the bar tape I am reluctant to swap the stem out just an extra 15 or so mm unless I really have to

It is a very short stem, undoubtedly swapped in by short short armed / torso-ed ex owner. The issue with shifting the saddle is it messes with kops etc fitting, which is your doing long rides could become an issue.

The solution is of course to fit a new stem and once happy get @Drago to pop over and rewrap the bar tape....

Drago

Legendary Member
The Sierra model is not in the 1982 CB catalogue. We do not have the 1983 catalogue but it is in the 1984 and 1985 catalogues. Yours is possibly later? Two extracts from the 1985 catalogue for interest.

View attachment 711684

View attachment 711685

It is definitely a 1983 bike of manufacture and sale, altnougn the "model" year could be something else entirely. I was given it by the man who bought it new from the shop in that very year, and the original store decals on the bike confirmed that, as does the date codes on the original componentry.

The colour scheme is slightly different tothe 1984 catalogue. Same cream paint, but different painted panels on the down tube and the headstock area between the lugs was painted metallic brown.

Drago

Legendary Member
It had the original Esse (?) mudguards on wit when I acquired it but they were cracked and split to the point off danger. I did try repairing them by glueing reinforcing panels inside but to no avail, so I regretfully binned them.

Top Bottom