Project Phoenix

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
I have recently mentioned that I've become a little dissatisfied with the state.of Colin the Claud, my 1983 Claud Butler Sierra 531.

In my mind it had stepped beyond the threshold of patina and firmly into full on knackeredness.

So, this happened...

And then this...

Once the rust was properly removed there was very little paint left in some spots. Darn it.

So it's going to get a full rub down, a repaint, and then finished with 2 pack clear lacquer to protect it for another 37 years. I've already made a start.

It'll be a slow burner as Mini D is still at home from school due to the virus situation, so I'm fairly busy keeping her occupied. Nevertheless, as it progresses I'll keep you posted.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I have recently mentioned that I've become a little dissatisfied with the state.of Colin the Claud, my 1983 Claud Butler Sierra 531.

In my mind it had stepped beyond the threshold of patina and firmly into full on knackeredness.

So, this happened...

View attachment 531649

And then this...

View attachment 531650

Once the rust was properly removed there was very little paint left in some spots. Darn it.

So it's going to get a full rub down, a repaint, and then finished with 2 pack clear lacquer to protect it for another 37 years. I've already made a start.

View attachment 531651

It'll be a slow burner as Mini D is still at home from school due to the virus situation, so I'm fairly busy keeping her occupied. Nevertheless, as it progresses I'll keep you posted.
Good man, :becool:

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
The new 531 decals are from Germany. I decided to go for the older style, because I think they look nicer. As it's a sympathetic refresh rather than restoration that should be perfectly acceptable. I've sourced some original style CB decals as well, so it should look good enough.

Now, a question. Do I go all silver, or do I try and preserve the bronze coloured head tube and seat tube paint?

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
The new 531 decals are from Germany. I decided to go for the older style, because I think they look nicer. As it's a sympathetic refresh rather than restoration that should be perfectly acceptable. I've sourced some original style CB decals as well, so it should look good enough.

Now, a question. Do I go all silver, or do I try and preserve the bronze coloured head tube and seat tube paint?
Try to preserve if you can. As long as it can enhance what you are doing with the rest of the frame.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
have a look back at some racing pictures from the sixties and seventies when they KNEW what paint had been invented for.

What colour scheme would you go for then?
If it was mine it would be a toss up between a deep red or midnight blue, a really strong colour. I'm not a huge fan of white/silver metalwork, either on bikes or cars.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Part of the reason I'm going for silver is because I have several cans of Kia satin silver paint from many years ago when I had a Sportage MK2. It's quite a nice colour, almost a light blue in the light.
Cheapskate. Get a proper colour. And do it right.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Well, I'm not doing a restoration. The cost of bestowing it with a paint job to match the original would be prohibitively expensive. Instead, it's going to be a sympathetic rebuild, so it will be done in a colour and decal scheme not dissimilar to that used on other CB's from that era. I'm as much a part of the bikes history as anyone that went before me, and those that come after will be thankful that I hit the pause button, de rusted it before it became a structural issue, and kept it alive for future generations to enjoy.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Indeed Skip (or would you prefer Mr John? ;) )

It's a lovely bike to ride and a reasonable quality machine, but not valuable enough to justify a pro repaint to original spec. while the colour isn't an exact CB shade it is similar to paint schemes they did do from the era, so is more or less age appropriate. Once it's painted and decal'd up it will look most pleasant, I reckon. Every time I go for a ride I'll need to pack a point stick to keep the laydees at bay, it'll look that nice.

Top Bottom