Project Phoenix

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Sounds like you're offering to pay for it to be done professionally for me Joe ;)

It will be very decent quality. I know how to spray and I'm anal about prep. A friend of mine works for an unnamed employer who uses Spraymax 2K and hes able to help himself to time expired stuff that is still perfectly good, so it'll be reasonably hard wearing when it's done.

The forks are flawless, and the rest of the frame will be the same.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Sounds like you're offering to pay for it to be done professionally for me Joe ;)
Come on Drago, a man of your means could have that done out of his loose change.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Sounds like it has been humid over there, as well. Not good for curing paint. Moderate temps and low humidity are helpful.

Thursday was extremely hot by UK standards, and rather clammy. Friday was similar but just a couple of degrees cooler. I was drinking pints of water at work and didn't need to visit the toilet once - I was sweating it out as fast as I consumed it. Definitely not painting weather, as it would dry too quickly, even if you were willing to tolerate the heat and the strong sun. Today has been a bit wet this morning and is now drier but rather windy. On the plus side, the forecast thunderstorm failed to appear. Currently deciding whether to go for a ride or not. The temperature is comfortable but it's a bit gusty for enjoyable cycling.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Happy birthday, Mini D!
Even in the midst of the silver paint crisis

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Decals removed, and the bulk of the rubbing down done today. I had considered trying to salvage the bronze paint highlights but what looks like minor rust pinrpricks invariably rub backed to significant areas under the paint, so safest to just get it all off.

I've broken the back of it today, packed it in when my titanium elbow started to ache. One more session to finish with 400 grit wet, then rust treat, then degrease and it's ready for primer.

I've decided on the decal set, gone for a 1979 set which were fitted to an earlier version of the same model.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Finished rubbing the frame down, dried it, dedgreased it, washed it, dried it again. This has let a fair bit of exposed steel that I don't want open to the air any longer than necessary, so I hung the frame up and blasted it with a coat of epoxy-anode zinc primer then left it hanging to dry. I'll snap a photo in the morning when the light's a bit better.

Aside from the corrosion resistance and the tough, hard physical barrier, it has 2 other advantages. It's high solids, so has filled any minor imperfections, and when I rub it back ready for paint primer it's going to be smooth as treacle hand poured by Barry White.

Second advantage is that this primer is silver, so it has given me a rough visual indication of how this frame is going to look in that colour when it is finished. And I can tell thee, it's great!

Top Bottom