Project Phoenix

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Finished rubbing the frame down, dried it, dedgreased it, washed it, dried it again. This has let a fair bit of exposed steel that I don't want open to the air any longer than necessary, so I hung the frame up and blasted it with a coat of epoxy-anode zinc primer then left it hanging to dry. I'll snap a photo in the morning when the light's a bit better.

Aside from the corrosion resistance and the tough, hard physical barrier, it has 2 other advantages. It's high solids, so has filled any minor imperfections, and when I rub it back ready for paint primer it's going to be smooth as treacle hand poured by Barry White.

Second advantage is that this primer is silver, so it has given me a rough visual indication of how this frame is going to look in that colour when it is finished. And I can tell thee, it's great!
Good to hear about the progress, and the primer, as well. I'm considering it for a repaint on the Trek 950. True Temper steel and paint always seem to get along poorly, so i'm looking for a barrier layer with "tooth". In the States, at least in my part of the middle, I have such heat and humidity that I will have to wait for autumn for good painting weather.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
^^^ A good quality etch primer? @screenman is the man to ask about paint.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Bare metal etch primed and rubbed back. Three full coats of zinc-anode primer now laid on. Will let that cure for a few days prior to rubbing down, then it's time for paint.

Gunk

Guru
Suntour VX is a good mech

Top Bottom