clauds age

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dontrudge2

I've posted here before some time ago about an old Galaxy,so long ago that the site did not seem to recall my password,I lurk and read a lot.Anyway I have had an old Claud Butler for over thirty years,it was very old when i got it but recently looking at pictures on classic lightweights, retrobike, etc, i began to wonder about my own bike.I posted about it on ctc website but did not garner a lot of info,then I rediscovered this forum.There are some pictures at this link.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/88104625@N07/8057573424/

That looks the business that does.
Although I would have more questions than answers for you, I would guess at 1960's or '70's (that narrows it down then).
My 1975 electron has the year anf France printed faintly on the outer casing of the wheel hubs between the spokes or you may find the brakes are date stamped.
Proper nice lugwork, especially on the stem, much nicer than mine, although some of the components look familiar.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Me too, I was hoping to see bloodshed, still, plenty of time for that yet.
I'll get the popcorn.... :popcorn:

OP
OP
D

dontrudge2

Hello again,thanks for the replies,I was a bit puzzled by some of them until I noticed the, "theclaud" reference.Ed n-m-l, I am nearly certain that it is older than the 60's,it is definitely older than the 70's.The only original bits on it are the frame/forks and the bars and stem.The rest is late 70's early 80's from when I first refurbished it.When I got it it was a fixed wheel.I did it up for touring on, which I did a bit of in my late teens.It is a Reynolds tubed frame,it originally had the sticker before i had it re-enamelled.The man I bought it off would back then have been in his late forties and it had previously belonged to his father before that.The nearest equivalent I can see anywhere on the 'net is a very similar but not identical model in a Claud Butler catalogue from 1949/50.When I stripped the original paint and patina of dirt/rust off ,you could see where the front forks andthe seat and chain stays had been chromed for about the first 6/8 inches,as a poor student I could not afford to have it re-done,but you could see that it was a bi-laminated frame

Top Bottom