Clay pigeon shooting...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Berties

Fast and careful!
I reckon a farmers son has hunting instincts,shooting of that standard would have started with quarry shooting at a early age,developed from english sporting to the more advanced discipline of trap shooting,188/200 is a top score at that standard he did well and deserves the win,we have had successes in the past with richard faulds,any one fancy a try at clays they will be surprised how dextrous you have to be to maintain a good clean break rate,i have shot regularly up to a year ago and its not easy as you think it is,concentration,skill and practice,dedication

screenman

Legendary Member
I have complete admiration for the guy, his skill and fitness levels far exceed anything us lot could achieve. Those that mock another sport are often in my opinion no hope losers who have achieved very little in life and are jealous of those who have, not understanding the work and effort that goes into top flight success in a chose field. JMHO.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
This is a 'spot the spoiler' thread! I confess to having no interest in shooting and only dropped in to see if anybody objected to the blatant spoiler in the thread title and am then faced with spoilers for several other sports that I am interested in!

Inertia

I feel like I could... TAKE ON THE WORLD!!
He was on TV this morning, he seemed like a really nice lad and was obviously made up with the medal. He only took it up because he had a bad snowboarding fall and injured his shoulder. The therapist suggested shooting one handed would aid his recovery by building up his shoulder strength, he was a natural and went from there.

Ive never tried shooting but for those that mock, it obviously take a very steady hand, concentration and very fast reflexes to do well.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Ive never tried shooting but for those that mock, it obviously take a very steady hand, concentration and very fast reflexes to do well.
Perhaps one reason why Sir Jackie Stewart is good at it too - he was international standard.

Wiki tells it thus:
"At the age of 13 he had won a clay pigeon shooting competition and then went on to become a prize winning member of the Scottish shooting team, competing in the United Kingdom and abroad. He won the British, Welsh and Scottish skeet shooting championships and the 'Coupe des Nations' European championship. He also competed for a place in the British trap shooting team for the 1960 Summer Olympics, which was awarded to another competitor named Joe Wheater."

Risex4

Dropped by the autobus
any one fancy a try at clays they will be surprised how dextrous you have to be to maintain a good clean break rate,i have shot regularly up to a year ago and its not easy as you think it is,concentration,skill and practice,dedication

But isnt that true for all sporting disciplines; without a frame of reference its extremely hard to appreciate just how good these people are?

My personal example is Archery. I used to shoot alot in a previous youth (until the late teens and associated distractions got in the way). Now, you'd be forgiven if you watched any archery coverage for thinking "that looks simple enough. Just pull back, aim at the target, and let go when the wind is right..." Perhaps you may think to yourself as you witness a third arrow fall in next to the spider "Ok I wouldnt hit the gold everytime, but Im sure they'd all/most be in the boss (target)"? Understandable given the ease with which these guys make it look. What you don't see from the 30-40 seconds on the line is the amount of technical coaching which has gone into that one shot.

First of all you have the draw. You need to keep the bow-arm steady and minimise movement - or at least maintain a smooth consistent motion - as settling down at full drawer becomes more troublesome when you are straining with maybe 40lb-50lb of draw weight being juggled through the body.

Then you have the anchor point where the fingers come back to the chin/face to allow you to aim the shot. Again you are looking for consistentcy. Put the top of your fist against your chin. Now take it away and put it by your side. Now put it back again. Was it in exactly the same place? That "close enough" has just missed the target at 70 meters completely.

You've then also got head position - keeping it steady and stable, resisting the temptation to move your head into the draw because of the pressure of the string - again any variation here means that your arrow may not even make the required distance as you draw short.

Then you've got shoulder rotate and lock. Which is simply a skill which has to be drilled and drilled and drilled as it perhaps one the the most counter intuitive techniques ever, but a must for the sport.

Then you have to hold all of this steady while you stabilise the sight which has been tuned to this "body data" over the target.

Then you have the release, which needs to be smooth and fluid in one motion. Snatching at the string, even the way you move your hand away from the string, will throw the arrow in any number of ways. In all of this, you have to have a completely unnatural reaction of letting go of the bow so its just resting in your hand, braced by the tension of the draw. Any grip on it will make your wrist throw the shot on release (hence why after the shot the bow just seems to drop from their hands)....

This is all only 101 stuff, you learn it the first time you pick up the bow. Get any of this remotely wrong - a cm on the head, half a cm on the anchor point, and your body data which feeds the sight is skewed. And over 70 meters, you miss by meters.

And I havent gone anywhere near trivial matters like stance, wind or grouping adjustment...

I ramble perhaps rather boringly. But Im just trying to reiterate that the great paradox of the Olympics is that seldom does the layman appreciate what he is witnessing!

Inertia

I feel like I could... TAKE ON THE WORLD!!
I ramble perhaps rather boringly. But Im just trying to reiterate that the great paradox of the Olympics is that seldom does the layman appreciate what he is witnessing!
That was actually very interesting, I tried archery a month ago and it is very difficult to be consistent. Like you say its hard to appreciate it if you haven't tried it.

I remember thinking snooker looked easy and found it boring to watch. It wasn't till I played it that I appreciated how difficult some of the shots were and how they positioned the ball after each shot.

I still find it boring to watch though ^_^

Night Train

Maker of Things
That was actually very interesting, I tried archery a month ago and it is very difficult to be consistent. Like you say its hard to appreciate it if you haven't tried it.
That applies to so many activities, sports, hobbies and work skills. So many people don't appreciate the amount of effort, learning and training that has to happen before something looks easy.

Berties

Fast and careful!
But isnt that true for all sporting disciplines; without a frame of reference its extremely hard to appreciate just how good these people are?

My personal example is Archery. I used to shoot alot in a previous youth (until the late teens and associated distractions got in the way). Now, you'd be forgiven if you watched any archery coverage for thinking "that looks simple enough. Just pull back, aim at the target, and let go when the wind is right..." Perhaps you may think to yourself as you witness a third arrow fall in next to the spider "Ok I wouldnt hit the gold everytime, but Im sure they'd all/most be in the boss (target)"? Understandable given the ease with which these guys make it look. What you don't see from the 30-40 seconds on the line is the amount of technical coaching which has gone into that one shot.

First of all you have the draw. You need to keep the bow-arm steady and minimise movement - or at least maintain a smooth consistent motion - as settling down at full drawer becomes more troublesome when you are straining with maybe 40lb-50lb of draw weight being juggled through the body.

Then you have the anchor point where the fingers come back to the chin/face to allow you to aim the shot. Again you are looking for consistentcy. Put the top of your fist against your chin. Now take it away and put it by your side. Now put it back again. Was it in exactly the same place? That "close enough" has just missed the target at 70 meters completely.

You've then also got head position - keeping it steady and stable, resisting the temptation to move your head into the draw because of the pressure of the string - again any variation here means that your arrow may not even make the required distance as you draw short.

Then you've got shoulder rotate and lock. Which is simply a skill which has to be drilled and drilled and drilled as it perhaps one the the most counter intuitive techniques ever, but a must for the sport.

Then you have to hold all of this steady while you stabilise the sight which has been tuned to this "body data" over the target.

Then you have the release, which needs to be smooth and fluid in one motion. Snatching at the string, even the way you move your hand away from the string, will throw the arrow in any number of ways. In all of this, you have to have a completely unnatural reaction of letting go of the bow so its just resting in your hand, braced by the tension of the draw. Any grip on it will make your wrist throw the shot on release (hence why after the shot the bow just seems to drop from their hands)....

This is all only 101 stuff, you learn it the first time you pick up the bow. Get any of this remotely wrong - a cm on the head, half a cm on the anchor point, and your body data which feeds the sight is skewed. And over 70 meters, you miss by meters.

And I havent gone anywhere near trivial matters like stance, wind or grouping adjustment...

Ramble on its great to see people so passionate about sports ,I have seen Richard faulds ,shoot the last olympic medal winner for trap and see the time that father and son Ian and phil coley have spent training both trap shooters mentally and within their skills,I defend the fact that people think any sport is easy ,to win you need to live and breath the game,especialy at the level we have been whitenessing of late,clay shooting is a mass skill and understanding of many aspects as is archery,what I see down mt barrel is different to you, speed snd tregetory of clays varies,weather can effect the speeds, then their is ballistics, and spreads ,

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Here is a pigeon made of clay. I'm sure the sport would benefit greatly, and be more elegant and interesting if they were to use these. I mean, it's like the 'Mercans calling their 'football' 'football', when the feet are scarcely involved. Let's drum up some support for REAL clay pigeons.

01.01.5881.jpg

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I have complete admiration for the guy, his skill and fitness levels far exceed anything us lot could achieve. Those that mock another sport are often in my opinion no hope losers who have achieved very little in life and are jealous of those who have, not understanding the work and effort that goes into top flight success in a chose field. JMHO.
Who mocked it?

Top Bottom