Cleaning a chain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lavender Rose

Specialized Fan Girl
This has probably been documented so so many times on here. However, I am doing maintenance on my Specialized Globe so my boyfriend can use it till he has his own bike.

I have sorted the tyres but the chain looks caked in oil!! I have never noticed how bad it looks before. I am obviously aware I cannot wash it etc as it can then seize up. I am tempted to take it off completely. Wash the oil off and reoil it?

Any pointers or youtube video links would be super useful.

Much love xx

MiK1138

Veteran
Type Mickle Method in the search box above,

Tangoup51

Take the chain off and clean the majority of it with a standard brush/sponge/cloth/ with soap and hot water.

Then after that, put it in any-old bottle with hot soap water and shake it vigorously. This works well for me without having to use any especial degreaser and/or tools.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Mickle's old rag method starts with a clean chain...

Profpointy

Legendary Member
To the OP, there are basically two schools of thought:

1) Clean the chain completely using solvents, degreasers, detergents, perhaps for extra inconvenience taking the chain right off as well. Then hoping that all the solvent, water, detergents are somehow gone, try and get new oil back in to replace the cleaned off oil.

Alternatively

2) oil the chain and wipe with a rag until somewhat clean and nicely oiled. Do this regularly and "somewhat" clean will become perefectly clean enough. Only pitfall is not catching your fingers betweem chain and chainrings - this hurts a lot and can even cause serious injury.

If not already obvious I favour the oily rag (aka "mickle") method.

By the way. Do not ever lend your bike to your boyfreind. He doesn't know how to treat it right. He will wreck it because he's a clumsy oaf. And then it'll get it stolen because he'll forget to lock it up outside a pub and you'll never forgive him and your relationship will never recover. The trajectory of his life will take a downward turn and you find him years later eking out a sorrowful existence as a street hawker. You mark my words.

Don't ask me how I know.

Top Bottom