Cleaning and lubricating a chain?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nmfeb70

Hi all, what is your advice on how to clean and lubricate a dirty MTB chain? My preferred choice is some GT85 on a rag, followed by some TF2 all weather lubricant, however this method doesn't clean Inbetween the rollers. A work colleague suggests rotating the chain between two nail brushes soaked in warm soapy water followed by an all weather lubricant. Any suggestions? Thanks.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I use a bit of cleaner with a baby wipe, then re-apply lube - wet ceramic / dry depending upon the bike and season.

I use a citrus based solvent degreaser that I get from work, gently brush it on the chain with an old paint brush, being careful not to let it get into the hub or bb, let it soak in then get two scrubbing brushes and ‘sandwich’ the chain while turning the cranks, both top and bottom, then side to side. Comes up like new!
Then carry out a wash as normal, dry thoroughly with a lint free rag and apply fresh lube. Periodically I take off the cassette, apply degreaser and give that a good scrub down with a brush, again being careful not to get any into the hub, then go between the gaps in the sprockets with the edge of a cleaning cloth to get the gunk out. Then I clean and dry thoroughly- jobs a good un! :okay:
The degreaser I use isn’t the most eco friendly, but it’s extremely effective (I use it to clean high voltage cables when prepping them for jointing) and we have a facility at work for disposing of it responsibly.

Last edited:
I have often thought of using the 2 nail brush technique but with white spirit not water. I guess you could fasten the two together with bits of mechano on one side. Do 6 inch of chain then rinse in white spirit and so on. Never tried it
I prefer nail brushes as I didn’t get on with them chain cleaners. Never tried white spirit but can imagine that would be effective, however just like the degreaser I use, probably best to keep it away from the hub and BB!

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
My chain doesn't get "MTB" dirty but if it did it would be hot soapy water with an old paintbrush first.
I use a degreaser if I'm doing a full clean, rinse with cold water, a spray of MO94 after drying to get into the joints, and then the old oil and rag (or mickle if you like) routine.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Mickle method. It just works.

Though you may need Papa to help.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Mickle method even on the MTB. Then every month or two depending on ride conditions, the chain goes in a tub of degreaser to get rid of crud and re-lubed. I use a wet lube, so hose the mud out after a wet ride, then re-lube and wipe, wipe, wipe.

What is this Mickle method? Can’t see any working link to it, even after a google search.....

Ok so it's a high class chain valet service I offer to the most discerning cyclist clients. I arrive at your house in my pedal powered mobile service unit and dismantle your chain (or chains) into its individual components. I wash the chain in Dr Bronners organic soap, I polish each part to a high sheen, coating each part with my proprietary 'Mickle's Supa Loob' (a secret blend of polytetraflouroethylene, graphite, dihydrogen oxide and whale oil) before reassembling it and reinstalling it on the bike. I charge just £5* plus materials.

*per link.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Ok so it's a high class chain valet service I offer to the most discerning cyclist clients. I arrive at your house in my pedal powered mobile service unit and dismantle your chain (or chains) into its individual components. I wash the chain in Dr Bronners organic soap, I polish each part to a high sheen, coating each part with my proprietary 'Mickle's Supa Loob' (a secret blend of polytetraflouroethylene, graphite, dihydrogen oxide and whale oil) before reassembling it and reinstalling it on the bike. I charge just £5* plus materials.

*per link.

Plus travel expenses :laugh:

Top Bottom