Cleaning and lubricating.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
I use the Mickle Method as a mid-week refresh, but still like to give the chain a good scrubb at the weekend.

A toothbrush or a firm-bristled dishwasher brush - the 30p type in your local Tesco. I use warm water and washing up liquid. Washing up liquid is not recommended for expensive paintwork, but I find it works for the drivechain.

Rinse before and after with light hose and dry well before re-lubing

Bandini

Norm said:
The only trouble was cleaning the cleaning tool afterwards

Yeah! What do you use for that? I just sort of brog a toothbrush round it with some cleaner in - would white spirit or something be better?

I use degreaser and cleaning tool on my chain, but I sometimes give it a scrub with an old toothbrush too. I use Finish Line Wet on my chain (should I use another in Summer?) and a Teflon spray lube for all the other bits.

It was caked today after coming back from four days on Moors and Wolds (we went over some very muddy tracks, including a mile or so over tractor churned mud - I wiped with baby wipes and re-lubed after that) but it is gleaming like a new pin now :tongue:

Maz

Guru
HLaB said:
You'd be better with a lube like Finish Line Cross Country for the chain.
How much Finish Line CC do you put on?
Do you wipe it off or just leave it on?

Also what's the difference between the 'wet' and 'dry' lube?

Moodyman

Legendary Member
You squeeze slightly, as as soon as a small amount starts squirting out, you roll the chain backwards. When all the individual links have a drop on them, you run the chain forwards through all your gears - front & rear.

Leave it a while and then wipe off teh surface (lightly).

The wet lube is just that - Wet. It will be visible as the chain will look wet.

The dry lube is your GT85-type spray. Will lube your parts but look visibly dry. This lube is too thin for chains.

Trek Trauma Chris

WD40 is a water repellent, NOT a lubricant, sure it will get rid of a squeak on a door hinge but not on something important. Soap and water, shop bought degrease for mech parts, then a proprietary cycle lube after.

Mista Preston said:
CCers What do you use to de - grease your chains. Mine is getting a little cruddy despite a weekly mickle lube and wipe so I want to get it off and make it sparkle again.

Do you just dunk it in petrol and give it a scrub then re lube?

Not enough wiping old chap.

Top Bottom