Cleaning bar tape

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

giant man

In the good old days of the C+ forum i remember a thread about cleaning dirty handlebar tape and what you would use. Now i can't remember for the life of me what was said or advised.

Anyone help? :biggrin:

rustychisel

just sponge it with a mild solution of dishwashing liquid (Fairy to you, isn't it?). I use the kitchen sponge/scourer, don't tell the missus. Cleans it up pretty nicely.

kyuss

Veteran
Use WD40 or Xlite's Bike Spray. Honest, it works better than anything else. Spray it on and give it a good rub with a clean cloth. My white bar tape now looks as good as the day I fitted it even after a year and a half of commuting.

kyuss

Veteran
stevenb said:
Will the above mentioned methods work on spongy bar tape. I have padded tape on my Felt bike.
Cheers

Steve

Should be fine. I don't get on with that shiny plastic coated bar tape so I'm using Specialized Bar Phat cork tape at the moment and have had 3TTT cork tape in the past and have had no problems cleaning either using the above method.

I should point out that WD40 was what I was originally advised by a few friends but I've just realised I've only ever used Bike Spray. It's an almost identical product but if you use WD40 give it a shot on a small bit first just in case. I wouldn't want to be responsible for recommending something that detroys your tape.

Top Bottom