cleaning bar tape?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Anyone got amny tips on what to use? My white bar tape is now more off white, and it doesn't look great.

Also if replacing what is the best way to tapem from the top (stem end)or from the bottom?

Ta

MadoneRider1991

Über Member
replacing them should always be bottom to top!! :smile:

try some white spirit to clean them :smile:

Warm soapy water is as good as anything.

If you tape from the bottom you get a smoother finish,and rougher finish starting from the stem - it depends what you like.

longers

Legendary Member
scoosh said:
Surprisingly, WD 40 is the best for cleaning white bar tape :smile:

I'd heard that too, I should try something on my black stuff and then my hands wouldn't get as grubby.

zacklaws

Guru
WD40 will remove the adhesive from the bar tape. I found this out when I followed the recommendation to use it on this forum a while back, it cleaned most of the crap off my tape but found that the tape had become loose on the bars and revolved freely round the bars. It took about a month before the tape stuck it self back down onto the bars and become firm again.

I would not be surprised if white spirit does the same too or any other solvent based cleaning material.

But probably not all bar tapes are the same so it probably works on some, but the more pourous or loosley fastened down tape, its possible the solvent will get behind and dissolve the adhesive.

White spirit. Get a baby or face wipe, dowse it in white spirit and using the whole of your hand, clench the tape with the whole surface of the wipe and keep turning back and forth...works a treat.

thus far I am just using baby wipes and it seems to be doing the trick although I haven't done any serious mileage to make the tape really dirty. One recommendation I was given was to use new mits for my white tapped bike :biggrin:!

Top Bottom