Cleaning, how far do you go ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Psycolist

NINJA BYKALIST
If, like many I suspect, OFF ROADING at the moment means riding through swamps, how deep do you clean after a dirty ride ? I've come home today with a bike that needs more than a wipe down with a oily rag. There is algae in the wheel rim spoke holes, duckweed in the cassette rings, hair algae in the chain, and thats apart from about a kilo of muck and filth in the brake, derailleur and crank mechanisms. I'm thinking of actually disassembling the whole bike and re-building once cleaned up. I know this is an extreme instance, but how much of a clean up do you give after a mucky ride ?

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Garden hose, give it a good bounce on the back wheel to shake off excess water then stick it somewhere warmish to dry.

@fossyant is your man for all matters of freaky cleanliness
smiley-chores009.gif

screenman

Legendary Member
Just done mine, jet wash and TFR, quick squirt all over with WD 40 to dispel any moisture left after bouncing, then lube and rack it ready for the next ride.

young Ed

Veteran
I stripped my full sus 29r down to a frameset after its most recent outing.
I can't see why people would not want the MTB to be as clean as the road bike.

View attachment 39079
the MTB/s should be just as clean and well cared for as the road bike/s and mine will be when i eventually get it! :P
Cheers Ed

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
If I ever had enough money to spare, I would love to pay somebody to clean and service my bikes 3 or 4 times a year. In the mean time, I do what I have to do, but not much more than that. (I do draw the line at filthy transmission and rims though, because they impact efficiency and reliability.)

If somebody volunteered to keep my bikes clean and well-maintained for nowt, I'd be pretty happy about it! :thumbsup:

young Ed

Veteran
If I ever had enough money to spare, I would love to pay somebody to clean and service my bikes 3 or 4 times a year. In the mean time, I do what I have to do, but not much more than that. (I do draw the line at filthy transmission and rims though, because they impact efficiency and reliability.)

If somebody volunteered to keep my bikes clean and well-maintained for nowt, I'd be pretty happy about it! :thumbsup:
take the bikes down here in kent and i will do all bearings and check everything else like that for the cost of parts :biggrin: honest
Cheers Ed

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
take the bikes down here in kent and i will do all bearings and check everything else like that for the cost of parts :biggrin: honest
Cheers Ed
I already have a free mechanic, ta, but I can't afford to pay for spares!

(If I had realised how much more expensive Campagnolo cassettes etc. are compared to Shimano, I might have chosen differently ...)

Top Bottom