Cleaning, how far do you go ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

e-rider

crappy member
it's rare but sometimes, just sometimes, after a very muddy ride, the hosepipe is required!

Widge

Baldy Go
next time fit a shimano cassette on the free hub body the they are universal fit?
where do you get your free mechanic?
bearings are a tenner max each set and cables are a few quid unless you need new wheels every 6 months!
Cheers Ed

Hhhhm...not absolutely sure I would take my bike to a mechanic (free or not) who didn't know that Campag 'Freehubs' and Shimano Cassettes are not freely interchangeable or that bolting on a Campy freehub and cassette to an otherwise Shimano setup would likely need a complete/expensive change of shifters/dérailleurs et al.:dry: (although SOME campy kit can be made to work with SOME shimano if you know what you are doing. Sheldon Brown has a few words about it I think.

How long have you been in business? I have a Cervelo S5 VWD Dura Ace Di2 that could do with a complete overhaul and some £10 Unobtainium bearings if you have any left? ;)

Last edited:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Hhhhm...not absolutely sure I would take my bike to a mechanic (free or not) who didn't know that Shimano 'Freehubs' and Campagnolo Cassettes are not freely interchangeable or that bolting on a Campy freehub and cassette to an otherwise Shimano setup would likely need a complete/expensive change of shifters/dérailleurs et al.:dry: (although SOME campy kit can be made to work with SOME shimano if you know what you are doing. Sheldon Brown has a few words about it I think.

How long have you been in business? I have a Cervelo S5 VWD Dura Ace Di2 that could do with a complete overhaul and some £10 bearings if you have any left? ;)
Don't worry, it's just young Ed. He has a lot to learn..........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Widge

Baldy Go
Don't worry, it's just young Ed. He has a lot to learn..........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
Oh...ok................

I was alarmed for a minute there! ^_^

Thanks

Widge

Baldy Go
If, like many I suspect, OFF ROADING at the moment means riding through swamps, how deep do you clean after a dirty ride ? I've come home today with a bike that needs more than a wipe down with a oily rag. There is algae in the wheel rim spoke holes, duckweed in the cassette rings, hair algae in the chain, and thats apart from about a kilo of muck and filth in the brake, derailleur and crank mechanisms. I'm thinking of actually disassembling the whole bike and re-building once cleaned up. I know this is an extreme instance, but how much of a clean up do you give after a mucky ride ?

.............I used to always lick mine clean after a ride like that..........but lately have been using 'New Cillit Bung' which penetrates all my crevices.

But seriously.....Muc-0ff type cleaners, Hot soapy water (not anything too salty/detergenty) and sheer grit and determination, followed by a damn good lube usually does it for me. (Although a bike mechanic once told me that MucOff is basically mindbogglingly expensive Coca Cola that has been left to go flat.......when I tried it it got all sticky though-but the licking was more pleasant as a result.

Last edited:

young Ed

Veteran
Hhhhm...not absolutely sure I would take my bike to a mechanic (free or not) who didn't know that Campag 'Freehubs' and Shimano Cassettes are not freely interchangeable or that bolting on a Campy freehub and cassette to an otherwise Shimano setup would likely need a complete/expensive change of shifters/dérailleurs et al.:dry: (although SOME campy kit can be made to work with SOME shimano if you know what you are doing. Sheldon Brown has a few words about it I think.

How long have you been in business? I have a Cervelo S5 VWD Dura Ace Di2 that could do with a complete overhaul and some £10 Unobtainium bearings if you have any left? ;)
ok i admit gears aren't my strong point and i have only dealt with free wheels not hubs TBH! and i have been in the business welllll erm about a month or two! and well the tenner bearings are the really commonly easily available ones like a loose balls for the hubs or traditional headset or £15 max for un55 but for the unobtainable bearings you have i could make some up (lie) with the access to a metal lathe!
Cheers Ed

Top Bottom