Clearly being a muppet But?

• Thread starter Deleted member 26715
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

I've brought the bike away with the intention of using it next week, but it's fairly quiet on the roads around here so thought I'd get it out & go for a ride. But I can't get any tension on the derailer it just wants to spring forward. It's probably me being thick, but I just can't work it out.

IMAG0141.jpg

If I hold the bottom it can be pulled backwards but springs forwards again,

IMAG0142.jpg

Alan...

Amanda P

Legendary Member
There are three springs in a derailleur: (1) the one inside the paralellogram mechanism that pulls the cage from left to right, against which you pull when you change gear up the cluster; (2) the one that pulls the whole derailleur forward relative to the chainstays, so that the chain wraps tightly around the smaller sprockets, and (3) the one that causes the cage to rotate backward, keeping the chain tight.

It looks and sounds as if the third spring has snapped or has come unshipped at one end. Perhaps in transit?

If it's just come adrift, you may be able to dismantle the derailleur and put it back where it should be.

If it's snapped or you don't fancy trying that (it's fiddly and you might need lots of tools and at least three hands) you may need to replace the derailleur.

Or I might be talking gonads. It's hard to tell from here.

(By the way, you know you've got the bike upside down, right?)

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

(By the way, you know you've got the bike upside down, right?)

Thanks for the advice I'll try to have a look, I have a few tools but not a full set & yes I thought it would be easier to put it upside down to make sure I got no oil/grease on the hotel room carpet.

Alan..

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

[QUOTE 2866870, member: 30090"]Get rid of the dinner plate.[/quote]????????

Lanzecki

Über Member
I did used to have a bike that had nothing to stop the derailleur from spinning whe the chain and wheel were removed. This had the effect of unwinding the tension spring. I assume this isn't the problem, but ya never know.

+1 for the dinner plate. On tables, not bikes!!!

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
The plastic thingy.

leave it on as it could stop the chain going behind the gear set

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

All sorted now, took if off played with it a bit & put it back on, not quite sure exactly what I had done but it's sorted now Not sure what you mean by banner, do you mean the Chain reaction bike bag?

IMAG0144.jpg

Alan...

Top Bottom