Cleat adaptors

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wyre forest blues

Über Member
I have just bought a pair of Shimano RW5 winter cycling road boots. These allow both 3 bolt SPD-SL and 2 bolt SPD cleats . What they dont tell you until you open the instruction leaflet is that you need a cleat adapter, SH-SM40 to use the 2 bolt SPD cleats. Has anyone else encountered this issue and either used (and walked) on the SPD cleats without the adapter, or used the adapter, which, reading reviews is far from satisfactory and is prone to failure after walking due to the rubber sides becoming detached. It also appears the SH40 cleat adapter has been superseded by SH41. Can anyone advise on this adapters durability.
Thanks in advance of replies.

Without the adaptors, you’ll have your SPD cleats fully exposed. Good luck trying to walk on those. The SH41 adaptors are slightly more durable than the SH40 was, but not by much. There are winter boots which are specifically designed for 2 bolt SPD cleats, these are basically trail type shoes, made into boots, and most people I know have those, and a separate pair of ‘road’ boots, with SPD-SL type cleats on, which they use with cleat covers.

OP
OP
wyre forest blues

wyre forest blues

Über Member
Thanks racing roadkill. I've always used SPD pedals on my road bike so I guess I have two options.. Use an adaptor or change to SPD-SL pedals and cleats... perhaps its time to change to SPD-SL and use cleat covers when I'm off the bike (in a cafe for example)

rivers

How far can I go?
I have just bought a pair of Shimano RW5 winter cycling road boots. These allow both 3 bolt SPD-SL and 2 bolt SPD cleats . What they dont tell you until you open the instruction leaflet is that you need a cleat adapter, SH-SM40 to use the 2 bolt SPD cleats. Has anyone else encountered this issue and either used (and walked) on the SPD cleats without the adapter, or used the adapter, which, reading reviews is far from satisfactory and is prone to failure after walking due to the rubber sides becoming detached. It also appears the SH40 cleat adapter has been superseded by SH41. Can anyone advise on this adapters durability.
Thanks in advance of replies.

Or exchange them for the MW5s, which are the SPD version. Mine just arrived today

Top Bottom