Cleat Adjustment: Am I missing something??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

September

I've been riding with SPD-SL cleats and shoes for a couple of weeks now and I'm still trying to get the adjustments right.

I've downloaded and read numerous guides on configuring cleats, as well as watching the GCN video and a couple of others, but!...

I feel like I am adjusting them completely blind.

The bottom of my shoe has no markers, nor does my cleat. So when I have to make an adjustment, I undo all of the bolts and have to slide the cleat around and it just feels so inexact.

I'm not really sure if I am making it worse or better, but I do know that I pretty much don't know what I'm doing!

Does anyone have any advice for me regarding more accurate, controlled and measure adjustments of the cleat?

(I am not asking for advice on cleat setup in terms of angles, etc - I just want to know how to monitor my changes.)

Thanks!

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Any shoes I have had have has markings :s The cleat normally has a centre mark too (at least Look cleats do).

If you are utterly clueless (no shame in it) go and see someone who knows what they are doing.

Last edited:

BigAl68

Über Member
As said above. Mark the position of your cleats with a sharpie or other marker pen. Remove the cleat and then using a ruler mark a centre line and some adjustment lines in using a ruler along the centre line. Then you can make adjustments and see how much and in which direction you have moved them.

jay clock

Massive member
on my road shoes once done correctly I draw round them with a permanent marker.

In terms of setting up it is easier if you have a turbo trainer.

Work out roughly what looks right. Fit the cleats and tighten up well. use a good quality tool so you do not damage the bolts. I only have done Look and SPD mtb ones (latter are easier to bugger up)

Then clip in and pedal a bit. Most usual problem is that the heel of the foot is too far swung left or right. Make a mental note of which way and as long as you can remember that when you flip the shoe to adjust the cleat, it swivels the other way (if that make sense). Just keep refitting till it feels right

jay clock

Massive member
also set the pedals on the loosest setting so you are putting less strain on the cleats in case the screws are not as tight as they could be

400bhp

Guru
Just remember-the shoes aren't necessarily perpendicular to the crank, they should sit so they allow your natural gait.

I think it's really hard to get cleat position correct, especially if you walk a bit pointy outy or pointy inny.

As Rob says, if in doubt go and see someone who knows what they are doing.

OP
OP
September

September

I'll give it a go first - I do tend to over pronate. I had quite an in-depth gait analysis for my running, so I have a rough idea about how my legs and feet work.

Just got to get that translating well onto the contact points on the bike!

OP
OP
September

September

I have them in general, but I don't use them in my cycling shoes because my pronation issue only really becomes a problem on excessive walking or running at distance.

vickster

Legendary Member
Has that been confirmed by a podiatrist or physio? I use footbeds in my shoes, makes quite a difference

Top Bottom