Something for the weekend sir?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Apparently the 1st commercially sold condoms dates back to the 17th century when a certain John Miller** sold them from his farmacy.
**hence the name Johnny's (many other spellings).
The 1st record of condoms being used dates back to ancient Egypt.
AND
I just realised this is in the wrong thread :wacko:

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Well I never knew that.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I didn't know that either, and what's more - I didn't know what gets used at weekends either! :whistle:

I used to get my hair cut by a barber in Hebden Bridge. I noticed that when he finished the men ahead of me in the queue, he always used to ask them "Anything for the weekend, sir?"

This went on for a year or two and I started to get curious about what the subject of that question was. Eventually, I mentioned it to an older man at work and he started laughing ... "He's asking if they want to buy some condoms!"

Okay, I thought ...

But then - "Hang on, why doesn't he he ask me if I want to buy any condoms?"

A voice rang out from behind a partition - "Come on, Col, you hardly look like somebody who'd been needing condoms at the weekend!"

Much hilarity around me ... :blush:

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I've never bought them from a shop, I think the only time I needed them, they were bought off the internet. I would certainly not buy them from a barbers shop! In fact, if I had bought them from the barbers in my home town, they would probably have been 7 years out of date and covered in hair

AndyRM

XOXO

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
As an 'old git' I remember that phrase well.
I also clearly the 1st time I asked for them in a chemist, I was so embarresed.

Mrs JtB and I had only been married for a short time when Mrs JtB started working part time as an assistant in a pharmacy (note: Mrs JtB is Spanish and at the time she was still in the very early stages of learning English). The pharmacy itself was quite small, but it was so densely packed with floor to ceiling shelving that it stocked more merchandise than many shops twice its size. Of course that sometimes made finding what you needed quite challenging. The layout however was very logical and so the pharmacist told my wife that if a customer asks for something and you don’t know what it is then ask what it’s for and that will enable you to go to the right section (e.g cough medicines) where the product is located. So, one day a young man wearing a motorcycle helmet came into the shop and sheepishly asked for condoms by their brand name. Unfortunately my wife didn’t recognise what he was asking for and so she asked what it was for. Well, there was total silence and even though the young man was still wearing a motorcycle helmet my wife could see that he was glowing bright red. Luckily the pharmacist had overheard the conversation and came rushing out from the dispensary to discretely place the product into a paper bag and hand it to the young man who still hadn’t managed to utter a single coherent word.

Mrs JtB and I had only been married for a short time when Mrs JtB started working part time as an assistant in a pharmacy (note: Mrs JtB is Spanish and at the time she was still in the very early stages of learning English). The pharmacy itself was quite small, but it was so densely packed with floor to ceiling shelving that it stocked more merchandise than many shops twice its size. Of course that sometimes made finding what you needed quite challenging. The layout however was very logical and so the pharmacist told my wife that if a customer asks for something and you don’t know what it is then ask what it’s for and that will enable you to go to the right section (e.g cough medicines) where the product is located. So, one day a young man wearing a motorcycle helmet came into the shop and sheepishly asked for condoms by their brand name. Unfortunately my wife didn’t recognise what he was asking for and so she asked what it was for. Well, there was total silence and even though the young man was still wearing a motorcycle helmet my wife could see that he was glowing bright red. Luckily the pharmacist had overheard the conversation and came rushing out from the dispensary to discretely place the product into a paper bag and hand it to the young man who still hadn’t managed to utter a single coherent word.

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :laugh:

"Remember kids, when you're abroad, you can often get by with pointing at things or miming when you don't know the precise word. "

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Haha - that reminds me of Leisure Suit Larry...

:laugh:

Top Bottom