Cleat adjustment question(s)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I have a new MTB with SPDs.
As I'm riding I "feel" as though my right foot is turned in slightly and it's as though I need to twist it (heel in-toes out) but obviously there is no movement. It's only slight and gives no pain (managed 25 miles today and absolutley no pain........apart from me bum:eek:)
I have to assume the pedals are square (don't I?)
Can the cleats on the shoes be slighty out of square?......I didn't fit them and dont want to play around needlessly in case I make it worse.

Hello Dave.

Stand comfortably and imagine a line parallel with the frame running through your feet. That is how I set my cleats, in line with the line.

My right foot points out slightly and I find this works well, I did get slight knee pain before using this setting.

hopefully this makes sense?

You could also try your lbs for advice.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
If the cleats were prefitted they're probably not much out of alignment. Feet, however, aren't factory produced and you may need to loosen the bolts, give them a twist and retighten them. All you need is a few minutes, a bit of local road and a hex key. I've had to fiddle and compromise with my right foot setting because the foot naturally splays outward, meaning I have to turn my toes in a little simply do avoid bashing the chainstay on each turn. My left foot, meanwhile, looks at my right foot with utter disdain...

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Sit on your kitchen worktop with your legs dangling over the side in a relaxed fashion. Look where your feet point. That is where your feet should point when the cleats are fixed to the bike. Some feet point inwards, and some point out, but your particular natural position should save your knees when riding.

BTW, I read this somewhere and it works for me. Don't send round the lawyers...:thumbsup:

Top Bottom