Cleat Position

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Were is the cleat position on your SPD's

I got mine positioned in the second set of bolt holes, but finding them a little uncomfortable in that position so going to put them in the front holes and see how it feels on the way home today.

Just in case it adds to the info - My shoes are Mavic Fury's size 10

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
It doesn't really matter where other peoples cleats are as every one will have a different set up.
It's a case of adjust them until you get it right.
I'm one of the lucky ones where both my feet pretty much face straight forward. So the cleat is placed over the ball of my foot and bingo.. it's done.

Reactions: 4F
OP
OP
J

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Mine are at the front holes which works for me.
yeh im going to put them back at the front and see if that helps - 1200ft of climbing home will tell me if its comfortable or not

Whichever set of bolt holes they are in is kind of missing the point, as the fixing plates will slide forward/back within the slots in the soles anyway. The only thing that matters is where the cleats are in relation to the ball of your foot. Having the pedal axle directly under (or slightly forward or rearward, depending on individual preference) is the normal recommended position for your foot on a pedal. You just need to work out where your cleat needs to be on your shoe in order for you to achieve that position.

If you tend to ride heel in, or heel out, then that will alter the angle of the cleat too...

Last edited:
It'll vary rider to rider where is more comfortable but one theory is the more behind the ball of your foot the more comfortable and the further forward the more power but some folk consider that mid sole cleats give more power for climbing. FWIW mine are in the front holes and located just behind the ball of my foot and I actually found a use for a turbo, it allowed me to quickly tinker and find the correct (I think) position and angle for me.

Top Bottom