Cleat Position

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Does anybody know any good references to the correct cleat position?
I'm currently using Taho's with SPD's and M520 and A520 pedals. At the weekend (with the M520's) it felt like my the aft ball of my right foot was slightly in front of the centre of the pedal and the left ball slightly behind. Since my cleats were currently both set back as far as they can go, I moved the right cleat further forward (about 4-5mm). However last night I cycled to my sisters (15miles) using the A520's. It didn't feel right so I moved the left cleat forward about a similar distance for the cycle home. That didn't work so I cycled home at a snails pace (too much pain to go any faster) and set the cleats back, why did I change them? I thought I'd be better in the morning (today) as my commuter has strapless toe clips, wrong, it looks like it'll be the bus tomorrow :biggrin:

Bigtallfatbloke

I set my cleats so that they are right on top of the ball of each foot...dunno if thats how it is supposed to be done but it seems to work for me.

Monkey Boy

One concurs. Experimented with cleat position for a few weeks last year and I like them on my balls too (ooo-er missus ;))

yenrod

Just buy some Time pedals man, stops all this messing around !

HLaB said:
Does anybody know any good references to the correct cleat position?
I'm currently using Taho's with SPD's and M520 and A520 pedals. At the weekend (with the M520's) it felt like my the aft ball of my right foot was slightly in front of the centre of the pedal and the left ball slightly behind. Since my cleats were currently both set back as far as they can go, I moved the right cleat further forward (about 4-5mm). However last night I cycled to my sisters (15miles) using the A520's. It didn't feel right so I moved the left cleat forward about a similar distance for the cycle home. That didn't work so I cycled home at a snails pace (too much pain to go any faster) and set the cleats back, why did I change them? I thought I'd be better in the morning (today) as my commuter has strapless toe clips, wrong, it looks like it'll be the bus tomorrow ;)

OP
OP
HLaB

HLaB

Marie Attoinette Fan
yenrod said:
Just buy some Time pedals man, stops all this messing around !

I'm starting to come round to this opinion also. I've stayed off the road bike since this (last Thu), I've just ridden my commuter (open toe clips) and it seemed to improve, even cycling up Dundas St. Went back on the road bike tonight and the pain although not as severe came back.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
here you go. all you ever wanted to know about positioning cleats
http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=156

I've always found that drawing a straight vertical line through the ball of my foot on the outside of my shoe and following this line through to the sole of the shoe to be about the right place. maybe just a smidge forward of this to be honest.

OP
OP
HLaB

HLaB

Marie Attoinette Fan
Thanks for pointing me in the right way mate. Reading the Park's site I think I've got my cleats in the correct fore and aft position for my riding style. However I've been walking around bare footed all this morning and it seems like I'm duck footed and need to rotate my clips more. I had got away with it with my old pedals but not with the A520's. I might try a bike fit too, as HJ suggests for a 2nd opinion.

Top Bottom