Cleat shoes made for walking?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

allen-uk

Finally gone to cleats after years of avoidance, and yes, they're fine.

But the shoes are lousy. Uncomfortable for anything but walking just a few yards.

Also, I'd prefer a slightly deeper recess for the cleats, to stop them scraping on the concrete when I do get a walk.

Yes, I bought a CHEAP pair of shoes to start off, just in case I couldn't manage the cleats, which might be part of the problem (£40 from Evans).

So I'm asking for recommendations for a shoe:
a) with maximum possible cleat recess
and possibly more importantly
:sad: that is [almost] as comfortable as a normal trainer for walking.

All ideas welcomed.

Allen.

Do you mean mountain bike cleats or road bike cleats? The former almost any mtb shoes have reccessed cleats, the latter none are reccessed.

colinr

Assuming you have MTB cleats...

I have dhb M1s from Wiggle*, about £50 and have no problems walking in them - had to walk 2 miles home after a p*ncture a couple of months ago. Specialized Taho is another shoe people seem to like, though I have no personal experience of it.

No cycling shoe will be as comfortable as a 'normal trainer', unless you often wear rigid soles!

* If you've not ordered from Wiggle before I'll happily 'refer' you so you can get some free shades (and I get some money off my next order :sad: )

Globalti

Legendary Member
I have two pairs of Shimano MTB shoes with SPD cleats and I have walked up mountains (carrying a bike) in both of them without difficulty.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
The Shimano MT41 or similar are great for walking around off the bike.

I think Lidl's recent shoes are very similar to the MT41 at a fraction of the price

OP
OP
A

allen-uk

Thanks for the replies. Almost total ignorance leads to some odd things.

Looking back at what I ordered, I find that the shoes are in the Mountain Bike section, so are probably MTB shoes.

The cleats are Shimano multi release sm-sh56, and I bought Shimano m520 pedals.

It all fits together (luckily), but in terms of comfort, do expensive shoes come with better comfort levels, or are they just flashier?

Ta.

Allen.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
The SH56 cleat is compatible with the M520. Good choice, even if it was a fluke

As a moderately new rider, I don't think that you'll notice a big improvement from the more expensive shoes.

There will be a difference, but you have to be a competing cyclist to really notice it.

sleekitcollie

I use shimanno MT 60 great for walking in . I even drive the car in them if taking the bike somewhere to cycle . And they look like normal trainers / treck shoes with lace up front . Also they have goretex lining and claim to be 100% waterproof , although I've not had to test that out yet . Cost £97 in shops got them for £75 from wiggle on a money off weekend

Moodyman said:
The Shimano MT41 or similar are great for walking around off the bike.

I think Lidl's recent shoes are very similar to the MT41 at a fraction of the price

I popped into my local Lidls today and they've still got stacks of shoes and stuff left

Simon

OP
OP
A

allen-uk

Thanks for the hints and tips, which I will follow up.

I am a TOTAL newcomer to cleats (only worn them, or rather one, since this Tuesday...), but not to cycling. (As a way of breaking myself into cleats rather than breaking bits of me, I am only using them on one pedal so far).

I only have one leg, which is partially relevant as it means that the walking comfort of my 'good' foot is more important to me than to some, and if THAT foot is uncomfortable, the whole set-up fails.

Thanks for that recommendation, sleekit, which I might well take up - I can always wear them round the house on carpets and see if they're what I want, and if not send them back.

Thanks again for all the help.

Allen.

OP
OP
A

allen-uk

The only powerful adventure I want is to be able to walk comfortably, which is what I want from shoes. Cycling is a bonus.

A.

OP
OP
A

allen-uk

Sleekit: I got a pair of Shimanos, as you recommended, but unfortunately (even though I got a size over my normal size) they're too small, so sending them back.

But before I repacked them I DID measure the cleat recess, and lo and behold, the Shimano shoe is significantly deeper than the cheapo Evans shoe - in the Shimano, the cleat is just below the rubber, in the Evans, it's just above.

So I'll find a pair in the next size up and try again!

Allen.

Top Bottom