Cleat wear & tear

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
goo_mason

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Thanks all.

I'll maybe hang on for the EBC's annual sale and see what I can pick up there, pedal & cleat-wise.

The ones I have were in an EBC sale and have done over 2000 commuting miles since I got them, so I suppose I got my money's worth out of them (as they were £17.95)...

OP
OP
goo_mason

goo_mason

Actually, rather than put up with the squeaking and the daily WD40 routine any longer, I ordered a set of the black M520s from SJS :biggrin: Given the cost of replacement cleats, these were a bargain with cleats included.

Thanks all for the recommendations.

Chris B

Got M520s on 2 heavily used mountain bikes and they've been fantastic, certainly as good as the 540s they replaced. Don't see any reason for spending more.

OP
OP
goo_mason

goo_mason

Ordered late Thursday evening, posted to me yesterday and waiting for me when I got home today after being away from home last night !

Great speedy service from SJS Cycles.

Put them on the bike tonight - can't wait to try them out on Tuesday. It'll be nice to try double-sided clipless. My old ones (which were my first clipless pedals) were single-sided, similar to the M324, which meant a lot of flipping the pedal with my foot to clip in as the clips were heavier and naturally rolled the pedals over.

TimO

Guru
I'm not sure exactly what species the SPDs on my Brompton are (similar to an M520), but they've done something like 7000 miles of commuting, and on the left side (the one which gets cleated/uncleated the most) the mechanism is noticeably worn away by the cleats. I think I'm on something like the third pair of cleats on these pedals, but the pedals on the left are starting to click, even with a new pair of cleats. I don't think there is enough of the pedal mechanism left to fully hold the cleat tight. Possibly it's time for a new set of pedals. Commuting in London seems to take more out of them than any previous cycling. I guess I do probably uncleat about twice every mile on my trips to and from work, so that's 14000 plus disengagements of the mechanism, and all the related wear. ;)

OP
OP
goo_mason

goo_mason

First ride using the new pedals today and they're excellent. No bother clipping in and out with the tension left as it was when they arrived.

Nice ;)

Top Bottom