Cleats and knee pain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have been using cleats for about 18 months and have suffered knee pain in the front of the kneecap.

Am I an isolated case, or do more of you suffer as well?

I think I have it down more now, as I have sorted out the seat height and reach, so its just the cleats.

400bhp

Guru
You should not suffer at all if you have the bike set up correctly.

Cleat position is,IMO, bl00dy hard to get right as it depends upon your gait. You should line up the cleats like the way you walk. For me that means pointing outwards.

Cycling Dan

Cycle Crazy
Cleats could be set up wrong putting the knee is a weird twisted position.
Check the position of the saddle and that its not too far forward or back.

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
As advised above.
In addition I always advise people to look at the gears you tend to ride in. If you ride in too high (Hard) a gear, you put extra strain on the knees and the drive components as well. As so many cyclists ride in too high a gear try riding 1 or 2 gears lower - but maintaining the same speed by spinning a bit faster. This feels strange at first - but gets easier in time.

Knee pain is no joke Samsbike. I'd advise a bike fit which includes cleat positioning. This is the best prevention and cure.

Feet tend to want to point naturally on the bike, as per walking, so make sure they are not just pointing straight forward for the sake of symmetry. For example both my feet point in the way, the right foot more than the other - my cleat position mirrors this.

MickeyBlueEyes

Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat.
Good trick is to sit on a kitchen worktop and let your legs and feet hang naturally. Or, do you have a turbo ? If so have a spin with your cleats slightly loose, they will auto adjust to your natural position, stop pedalling and get a friend to tighten up the cleat bolts from underneath.

A friend of mine had knee trouble with Look grey cleats, changed to the red with more float and claims knee pain has gone.

Top Bottom