Cleats and Pedals

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BlueBird

Hello,

I need help with cleats and pedals....

May anyone shed light on what pedals/cleats are compatible with:

Liv Avail SL 2 Disc Womens Road Bike

and

Cannondale Synapse 105 road bike.

I'm a bit lost as to what pedals/cleats/shoes are compatible.... I'm a newbie in road bikes.

Many thanks in advance.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
whatever you like .
There are many combinations that fall broadly into 2 camps
3 bolt shoes that have the cleat mounted externally and 2 bolt shoes that have a smaller cleat mounted in a recessed slot in the sole, the latter are easier to walk further in.Traditionally road bikes tended to have the 1st style with external cleats as they were believed to have better power transfer and are still the most popular choice however studies have shown as long as the soles of your shoes are stiff enough then the difference in those and the latter recessed cleat style is so minimal its not worth worrying about.
So as long as your shoes have the right mounting holes for the cleat/pedal combination you can ride what you prefer.

OP
OP
B

BlueBird

whatever you like .
There are many combinations that fall broadly into 2 camps
3 bolt shoes that have the cleat mounted externally and 2 bolt shoes that have a smaller cleat mounted in a recessed slot in the sole, the latter are easier to walk further in.Traditionally road bikes tended to have the 1st style with external cleats as they were believed to have better power transfer and are still the most popular choice however studies have shown as long as the soles of your shoes are stiff enough then the difference in those and the latter recessed cleat style is so minimal its not worth worrying about.
So as long as your shoes have the right mounting holes for the cleat/pedal combination you can ride what you prefer.

Thank you. I'm just wondering if the pedal itself would fit on the bike? I'm buying everything online since I'm living in a country that doesn't sell these things. I'm just worried to order a pedal that doesn't fit in the screw hole of the bike?

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Thank you. I'm just wondering if the pedal itself would fit on the bike? I'm buying everything online since I'm living in a country that doesn't sell these things. I'm just worried to order a pedal that doesn't fit in the screw hole of the bike?
pedals are normally a standard size hole its only really cheap bikes or kiddie bikes that have non standard sizes

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Pedals aren't an issue, get yourself properly fitting shoes from whichever brand or style you like and purchase pedals to suit after.

A quick glance at the sole will tell then narrow down the choice of cleat-pedal interface

jay clock

Massive member
remember that the right side of the bike the pedal threads in clockwise (standard direction) and the left-hand side screws in counterclockwise (always screwing the pedal towards the front of the bike if that makes sense). Each pedal has an L and an R on it to distinguish

OP
OP
B

BlueBird

If you just want ordinary pedals, ask Ashcycles to supply some with the bike, they'll have a box of free ones I'm sure, or something like this
https://www.ashcycles.com/site/giant-ac-pedals?zenid=3fmb5qoktf3n6h4vi9nmhvguj2
I wouldn't worry about shoes and clipless currently.
Have you bought two bikes?!
Haha no I did not buy two bikes. My friend got a bike as well. He's new to road cycling too. Asking on his behalf since he's not on the forum.
I must say I always appreciate your comments. You're very helpful. Thank you.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I'm buying everything online since I'm living in a country that doesn't sell these things

If you don't have access to bike shops for spares and repairs, it would make more sense to fit simple platform or cage pedals.

Nothing much to go wrong, and you can ride in any pair of shoes.

Top Bottom