Cleats or flat pedals?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
every time I hear the clap trap about flats being sooooo much better than cleats, I just say "I expect all the pro teams will switch to flats next season then".

The reason pro teams use clipless is they spin at a cadence beyond us mere mortals - at those speeds their feet would fly off the pedals.

Some keen amateur roadies may also feel this benefit, but the majority of riders I see don't need clipless.

Of course, there is no need to justify any choice of pedal.

'I like them' is reason enough.

Tojo

Über Member
The only time I have had an incident when clipped in, is when you really clipped in i.e. when you had cleats that clipped onto the rear ridge of the pedal then strapped your toe clip up.....now that was having to predict when you needed to stop......:surrender:....:B). Modern "clipless" pedals are a POP.... :giggle:

Last edited:
Lower the release tensions then! I normally have mine set to minimum so I can unclip with barely any effort.

I once forgot to lower the tension on one side of one pedal. I could not get unclipped and had to ask for help.

No need to shout........ :tongue:^_^
I don't use them now anyway,just an experiment for a few months.
I prefer flats regardless of my probs with the Spuds

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
The reason pro teams use clipless is they spin at a cadence beyond us mere mortals - at those speeds their feet would fly off the pedals.

Some keen amateur roadies may also feel this benefit, but the majority of riders I see don't need clipless.

That may or may not be true, but cyclists both amateur and professional have felt the need and the benefit of being clipped in or on, or more firmly connected to their pedals in some way almost since the invention of the pedal bicycle. The first clipless pedals date from 1895 - see the Pedal Museum timeline.

Of course, there is no need to justify any choice of pedal.

'I like them' is reason enough.
- that's fair enough, but then it's not for you to judge that 'the majority of riders I see don't need clipless'.

screenman

Legendary Member
How often in post would the words "in my opinion" be a nice last line to add.

Palerider, what is this superfast cadence you speak of? Now you may not spin at 90 to 100 but I do and I can assure you I am not a pro.

rovers1875

Veteran
After years of saying I would never go clipless, I finally stepped into the dark side and got a set. When I got the new bike it did not look right with big chunky flats, and the salesman was good (he convinced me I would be faster and would look and ride like a proper cyclist) (He fibbed) they do look better on the bike, But apart from that, I can't say I have noticed any difference to my riding (Oh apart from going faster but I'd wager that better wheels and the bike being 6kg lighter than the other has more to do with that than the pedals) My biggest problem is that when I have to drive somewhere to start a ride, I forget the cycle shoes with the cleats.

Top Bottom