Cleats or flat pedals?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
A guy called Duncan, in Bike Radar, reckons that cycling using flat pedals is more efficient, faster and safer than using cleats. He says that it doesn't harm your ham string so much because you don't pull up on the up stroke, faster because you can take your foot off going round corners hence improving your center of gravity and safer because you are not strapped in in an emergency . What do you think?
Personally, I have cleats on all three bikes and like it because I know that my foot won't slip off when standing up and me damaging me family jewels in the process.

ScotiaLass

Guru
I prefer flats. I have Dyspraxia which causes balance issues, meaning that I can be stationary, straddling the bike, eating an ice cream (or cake) and STILL fall off it :laugh:

Brandane

Legendary Member
I use flats, but they have pegs for good grip. I tried clipless but didn't get on with them for various reasons - mainly because I didn't like my foot being stuck in one position for all cycling activities (climbing, descending, fast, slow - all of which IMHO require small adjustments of foot position). Couple that with the foot cramps I got after anything more than 20 miles (OK I know the set up probably wasn't spot on, but I experimented and NEVER got it right) and I reckon any advantages were heavily outweighed. At my standard of riding, I am under no illusions about supposed performance gains in any case.
Often my rides also incorporate some other activity (pub, shops, visiting, eating etc.) rather than a simple home to home loop. I prefer normal footwear (and non lycra clothing too) for such activities.

Mine are something like these; fitted to roadie, tourer, and MTB!
81O-kwlsxAL._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:

Mrs M

Guru
I would not go back to flat pedals on the road bike, I actually feel safer using them (except when I dismount and have to walk), then it's a different story!

Citius

A guy called Duncan, in Bike Radar, reckons that cycling using flat pedals is more efficient, faster and safer than using cleats. He says that it doesn't harm your ham string so much because you don't pull up on the up stroke, faster because you can take your foot off going round corners hence improving your center of gravity and safer because you are not strapped in in an emergency . What do you think?
Personally, I have cleats on all three bikes and like it because I know that my foot won't slip off when standing up and me damaging me family jewels in the process.

Clipless pedals offer a consistent foot position and secure foot placement - nothing more. Duncan has a point about the rest of the stuff. The comparison is fallacious in any case.

Brandane

Legendary Member
He says that it doesn't harm your ham string so much because you don't pull up on the up stroke
I am sure I have read on similar threads about clipless pedals that the consensus of opinion is that you are not supposed to be "pulling" with the upstroke foot?

mark st1

Plastic Manc
Flats for me tried the roadies (Look) caused a lot of knee pain and sick of adjusting them. Going to make a concious efforts to try Spd's next year. My pedals have flat one side and Spd the other so determined to master the art.

Flats all the way for me,as I do MTB'ing.Spuds are a big no no on MTB's (IMHO)
I went OTB at speed after being forced into a pothole by a dickhead,on my way to the trails.
Having a bike attached to you is not good in that situation.
Road bikes and long straights ?
Yeah,Spuds

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
I switched to SPD's on my road bike recently. I find I used to climb steep hills better before I switched. They're better on flat roads, though.

Top Bottom